• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing interior door handle

Undeclared

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to replace the speakers in the front doors. How do you get the interior door handle assembly off. I know the two rods have to be removed from the handle/lock but how???

I just undo the armrest and the I take out the screws that hold on the door handle part then i pry the panel away from the bottom and let it bend upwards alittle, I have done this a few times and have never had any problems with breaking anything.

You can fight with the 2 plastic clips to remove the rods or very carefully work the plastic part over the metal part then the panel will come off past the metal part.

JoBo

and for those of us (me) that fought the plastic clips and lost... how do you repair/replace the interior portion for the metal rods? Both plastic pieces snapped... Plastic on a moving part that gets used every time someone drives it... poor design...

Those plastic pieces are available at Autozone in the Help brand parts section. Now, you don't need to take those off. You get the door facia panel loose, then rotate it about 45 degrees and you can slip the lock mechanism through the hole with no problems.

zeke2230 said:
and for those of us (me) that fought the plastic clips and lost... how do you repair/replace the interior portion for the metal rods? Both plastic pieces snapped... Plastic on a moving part that gets used every time someone drives it... poor design...

The plastic is not part of the actual mechanism that moves, though. It's only a clip to keep the rod from falling out of its hole. The stress is all on the rod and the hole. It's cheesy, and of course they don't care if you break it taking it off as long as it doesn't fail in service. It's like the fuel quick connectors. What genius designs a quick disconnect mechanism that requires rebuilding every time you use it? Sure it comes off quickly, but it takes 12 bucks and a trip to the dealer to put it back. What's so bad about a hose clamp on a barb?

Back