NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 15th, 2020, 07:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Best rust reversal/treatment products???

I'm not looking to do that much work for so little gain. "lil sis" was originally from Colorado but ended up in Az about 5yrs after that. It only has (from the bottom side) 3 "pencil eraser" sized spots and 1 "dime " sized spot, I'll look under the carpet at the floorboard after I do whatever I can in the frame-rail. It looks like the Eastwood product would be best suited for my needs without a lot of addition prep or products. I definitely don't want any "wax" style products but something that dries hard and can survive our heat and be thoroughly washed now that's a AZ rig.
Old June 15th, 2020, 07:56
NAXJA Forum User

Assuming there is rust in the uni-body I just figured if you could get some of the flaky/loose stuff off before using the Internal Frame Coating it would do a better job.
Old June 15th, 2020, 14:12
NAXJA Forum User

I support the notion that Eastwood products are junk; complete and total junk in my experience. Don't waste your money on their crap. A WHOLE lot of marketing for below-average results. Google search SEM 71120 or KBS 75015.
Old June 15th, 2020, 15:17
NAXJA Member

I have used POR15 for years and like it with a couple of exceptions. It is not UV resistant and available in limited colors. Being an aerospace engineer, I found a place called Top Secret Coatings. It is the real deal, many of their paints are MilSpec. Their marine single part moisture catalyzing epoxy, similar to POR-15, is fully UV protected and is tougher than nails and has built in rust converters. It covers in a very thin coat and is available in almost a hundred colors. They have lots of other tailor made paints for different uses.

It is not cheap, but well worth the cost. A quart will cover what a normal gallon will coat. I have been using it for over 20 years. It works great on axles because it does not chip easily due to its hardness and how thin it is to cover.

Just a warning, just like POR, if you get it on your skin and don't get it off in less than a minute, you will have to wait for the skin to wear off to get rid of it. Also, always use a good paint respirator when spraying.

If you spray it on aluminum, you will never be able to sand it off due to the fact that it is soo much harder than the metal, once you break through, the aluminum gets removed before the pain.

Last edited by old_man; June 15th, 2020 at 15:20.
Old June 16th, 2020, 04:26
NAXJA Member

I was going to try a product called Agriguard. I think sold at Tractor Supply. I'll look at the Top Secret Coatings. I have used POR15 sine the late 80's. I think they have some of their coatings that are UV resistant. I like to buy it in the small pint 6-packs.
I used a product in the late 80's from JC Whitney called XP2000. It was a spray on undercoat. Suppose to convert the rust etc. I can't find it. I'll have to look at the SEM stuff.
Old June 27th, 2020, 03:22
NAXJA Forum User

Best rust reversal/treatment products???

I have found Penytrol to be good.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:12
NAXJA Forum User

I cut the rockers out of my XJ and was generally removing rust. I used Rust Kutter from tractor supply to stabilize the rust and I removed the loose stuff mechanically.

Was going to order this stuff and coat everything with it:
https://www.amazon.com/Corroseal-Wat...ag=googhydr-20

Not sure if I should top coat it because I will be welding in the rockers, the primer may be enough. Then I will use a cavity wax inside of the rockers before I cap them off.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:29
NAXJA Forum User

I already bought/received my order from Eastwood....
I got a can of ...... Internal frame coating (green)
Rust Converter
Rust incapsulator (silver)
I probably won't get to try them for about a month. I'm starting my Super AW4 rebuild on Friday and I still have rebuild my transmission jack and make a trans adapter for my engine stand.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:40
NAXJA Forum User

One of these days I am going to treat myself to one of the inspection cameras.
Go into the uni-body and see what the Eastwood stuff I did about 6 years ago looks like.
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:32
NAXJA Forum User

That's a good idea, I do have a 3' inspection camera that I'll try a before and after look. I don't recall if the camera will do any "downloading" and I'm not sure it will make the radius to get it inserted thru a frame hole?
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:52
NAXJA Forum User

I've cut a small piece of acetate to attach to the nozzle and act as a stand-off and have gotten the tube to be straight. I will either attach a 2' piece of Nichrome or Nyrod to be able to control/turn it.
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Figure you have a few holes to work with. Ones on the bottom and ones on the side of the uni-body. I am thinking you can get enough of an idea of what it looks like in there for some before and after.

I am not sure if I should buy one of those Amazon ones I can hook up by WiFi or Bluetooth to my iPad or buy a self contained unit like the Milwaukee M12 thing.
Old June 27th, 2020, 15:00
NAXJA Forum User

Best rust reversal/treatment products???

I used chassis saver on my Jeep and loved it. Easy to put on. Came out smooth and dries super hard. Liked it better than POR-15 that I have used in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk