NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 5th, 2019, 18:32
NAXJA Forum User

P0743

I have a question regarding this code, if anyone can chime in. I have read through all the threads regarding this, but I still can't figure this one out. I tested my solenoids at the TCM and at the dipstick connector. I show the correct OHMS on two of them, but on the Lock-out solenoid I am reading OL, which on my meter is open circuit. All of the wiring under the jeep looks good and I don't see any issues. My main question is, if the lockout solenoid is bad, would it read open circuit and not shows OHMS? I have read that a bad one will show higher ohms, but can a bad one show open circuit?
Old August 5th, 2019, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: P0743

Open circuit means no connection at all. So either the wiring to the solenoid is damaged or the wiring inside the solenoid is broken. I have seen the connector at the solenoid come off too. I'd say measure directly at the solenoid since you already checked at the firewall, but if you're going to pull the pan, you might as well spend the $55 and have a set of solenoids ready to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Hotwin-Transm.../dp/B07JB4D876
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:25
NAXJA Forum User

Had the same problem and the culprit was a bad wiring harness to the trans.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:17
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I would agree with lawsoncl and tm8chris. There really is not very much to the circuit between where you measured and the actual solenoid. It's wiring/connectors/solenoid for sure.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 17th, 2019, 16:04
NAXJA Forum User

Just to update this. I took off the pan and measured at the solenoid, still open circuit. I removed the solenoid and tested it, it still tested open. So the lockup solenoid was bad. The new solenoids I bought all tested around 12.6, I replaced all three while I was in it, and problem solved. So a bad one can read open circuit, must be an internal problem with it. I thank you guys for the help.
Old August 17th, 2019, 16:24
NAXJA Forum User

That's the most common scenario.