NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 6th, 2008, 00:37
NAXJA Forum User

Jeep Dies, No Crank condition

I have thoroughly searched the forums and other places but cannot connect the two issues to my satisfaction.

Background Info: 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited, AW-4 transmission, 4.0l I6. Went wheeling 3-4 days ago took it through alot of mud puddles, mud and various other adventures. No problems prior to this related to starting.

Problem: Jeep started just fine this morning as always and i drive to Starbucks for my overly expensive coffee. Come back out after 15 minutes I get a no start condition from the Jeep, as in no crank, all lights come on, fuel pump primes. Turn key on and off 3-4 times, sit frustrated for a minute or so considering options try to start it again and it fires right up.

Drive around making numerous stops, turning jeep on and off with no issues. Come around a round-a-bout and jeep dies like i cut the ignition off and once again have a problem with restarting it but after 3-4 attempts it fires up. Figuring a possible fuel issue because i have 1/4 tank of gas i go and fill up. Go back to same round-a-bout and jeep dies again. This time instead of stopping i drop it into neutral and it fires right back up.

Go to school come back out after an hour an i get a no start, no crank all electronics working fine condition again. This time no amount of turning the ignition on and off works. I call a friend and he suggests moving the gear selector through the gears and trying again. I perform this and the jeep starts right up.

Conclusions: I have read everything about NSS failure and the need to clean and reinstall the sensor, but no where in those posts have i found a situation where the NSS failures causes the Jeep to shut off as if turning the ignition off. Because of this i am hesistant to decide ti is just the NSS and not something else, i.e. the igntion switch, that is causing this issue.

Any input is helpful, this is my first jeep and i have had it less than a month and abosolutely love it. Please help me fix this issue.