• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current Fuel Pump/sending unit/pressure regulator recommendations?

bmwe30nut

NAXJA Forum User
In searching, I see that Bosch is recommended...I've used them for years in other vehicles and agree.

The 1999 4.0 is having a 'slow start' issue (my daughter says priming it a couple of times seems to fix the issue), so I'm guessing (I'll work it up more) it's likely the check valve.

I may do the access port mod vs. dropping the tank...

If I have to replace the check valve...might as well do the whole thing...

But Bosch doesn't seem to make the whole sending unit anymore (just the pump replacement)...or still better to do the bosch pump and a new pressure regulator/check valve.

What are the best alternatives (vs. Mopar at over $300)?

(Yes, I know to avoid Airtex....)

Thanks!

I ran into the same thing for my 2000, I ended up going with the Delphi.

I purposely bought a Mopar on that was on Craigslist for $150 just to have in "stock" just in case.
Hope to never use it.
Might want to give this a look. Start reading at Post #27.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fuel-pump-replacement-brands-any-good-223627/index2/#post3231679

I figured if and when I do this job I am still going to drop the tank.
But also might cut an access hole while it is out.
My thinking is raid the boneyard for a nice section of the cargo pan.
So instead of having to build up the edges of the piece you cut out lay in a bigger piece over it.
Figure some rivnuts and weatherstripping and are good to go.
Also cause of the tie downs being riveted on top of the carpet figure, cause I want to keep them, instead of riveting them back
in use rivnuts there too.

Dropping the tank would seem to be easier than cutting a hole in the floor and having another potential spot to leak.
I have changed three fuel pumps by myself in 97+ XJs and toughest part is getting the big nut, the secures the pump, back on the tank, it wouldn't be easier to do while it is still in the car IMO.
Changing fuel pumps isn't something that gets done very often.

Completely removing the tank allows a through cleaning of the tank and examination of the metal floor above for rust.

Bad news about the Bosch pumps. Glad I change both of the Jeeps and the motorhome fuel pumps in the last couple of years, using Bosch pumps.

Did the fuel pump on an 05 Wrangler by dropping it not too long ago....and around the same time I did the pump on a 2002 E46 bmw...a hell of a lot easier through the access panel under the seat in the BMW.

Back