• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

February 2013 Off-Season Volunteer Workday

DRaider90

NAXJA Forum User
The second workday of 2013 is currently scheduled for February 23rd during the seasonal trail closure. A workload has not been established yet, but the guard rail install on Dutch John that got cancelled during the last workday may be on the list. And depending on how much rail CROC gets put up on their early Feb. solo workday there might be more to put in on Rocky Mount. Loop. The tentative schedule goes as follows:

8AM: Breakfast @ Eldorado Outpost, some of us get together in the back of the Outpost and eat breakfast.

9AM: Forest Service Meeting @ Hunt Camp, this is the official meet up time for the workday where everyone signs in and is briefed on the projects for the day.

1PM: Lunch, around 1pm everyone stops to have a trail side lunch.

3PM: Wrap up, there is no scheduled wrap up time but usually work ends sometime around 3pm.

More information on supplies/tools to bring as more information is made available about the actual work load planned.

I am going to try and make the CROC workday on the 9th if funds allow. It looks like I may be out of town on the weekend of the 23rd.

I plan to be at the 23rd Workday and hopefully help at the CROC as well, but my schedule is dictated by class so I can have no guarantees.

For the past 3 years I have made a point to try to be at every single workday (I think my attendance is around 95%), rain or shine, heavy work load or light. But with my possible changes in employment it kind of leaves it up in the air for me. I plan on attending but there are too many unknowns to commit to this one just yet.

What is CROC?

I'm gonna try to get out there, I'll see if a couple friends want to come too, we'll see how everything works out.

I have work today so I know I won't be able to make it out for the 9th CROC day. The work load for later in February depends on what gets done on the 9th. The plans to do the trail head (parking lot) repairs opening weekend has been moved up to the March workday so we all ready have an idea of what is in the works for March.

Last edited:
Neither Nick or I were able to make it up there this weekend, so i'm not sure how it went.

I won't make it for the feb. workday. I have an important event for possible future employment I will be attending locally.

I unfortunately won't make this workday either. I've got prior commitments out of town this weekend.

I do have the March workday on my calendar for sure, especially since it's so close to the Jamboree.

I haven't made any employment changes yet so I will be there. Here is a little bit more info on the workday:

Hi Everyone - The next work weekend is February 23rd. Meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9am and be ready to install guardrail at the Lower Ledge and at the top of Kodak Rock. We have made a lot of progress on January 26th & last weekend on Feb 9th CROC, ONSC & CTB had folks that were able to come up. If any club has a tractor or a skid steer with an auger that could make it to Kodak Rock either by coming from the bottom of Kodak Rock or by coming in from Rocky Mountain Loop from the Sawmill Trail end please email me and let me know. If you’re not sure if you know which way I’m asking you to come in to find out if your equipment into the site please call me & we can talk about to make sure you know which way I’m trying to get you to the site.

If you have trailers that can go on the trails loaded with guardrail (12.5 and 25 ft long) and with posts (6 ft long) or trucks that could haul these then please let me know that and bring them. Also, be prepared to haul in the guardrail & posts and have chains, D rings etc. so that you’d be able to drag these into the sites. Bring shovels, sledge hammers, work gloves, rock bars, lunch & water, etc. Pete Powell & Drew Brown will be working with you and we’ll probably work until 2 or 3 pm.

Please let me know if you’re club will be there and let me know how many folks will be coming from your club. Thank you very much. We appreciate your help very much. Bye - Terry

The work day has been rescheduled to next Saturday, March 2nd due to bad weather.

Back