• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My ignition key is stuck!

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
My ignition switch has been acting up lately. I have noticed that sometimes it sticks and sometimes it would only go in about 3/4 of the way but it would still turn on.
Now, it will only go in 3/4 of the way and I can't get the key out or start the Jeep.
It will turn off but not lock and it will turn on but not start.
I know I have heard of these problems before but I couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks!

While your at it, clean out your PMs.

See if you can spray some carb cleaner in the keyhole. It sounds like you got some crap in there. Once you have it where the key can be inserted and removed, get some graphite based lube and shoot it in the lock. Regular oil at cold temps tends to gum things up.

Maybe that is your problem if it is sitting out side. If so, try using a lighter on the butt of the key to warm it up and thaw out the lock.

OK. Still can't figure this out.
All the rods and connections in the column are ok.
Still can't get it to come out or turn far enough to start or lock the wheel.
Can I get the cylinder out with the key stuck in it.
I don't have a puller but I can go get one.
This is my only running car at the moment so it's kind of an emergency.

Glamourshot....... Gimme a call and I'll talk ya through it.

Pre 95 (without airbag)

undo the nut holding the steering wheel on. get your knees under/behind the steering wheel. grab steering wheel top with non dominant hand. dominant hand, take big rock or heavy sledge and hit steering wheel bolt, while pulling on steering wheel with off hand and knees.

one good whack and it comes off and will not damage the bolt. (acidentally threw my puller away, used this 4 times on my current rig, and twice in the junkyard)

take off the O ring clip while pushing in on the round ring (theres a spring behind it, so be ready for it to pop)

3 screws holding in the clock spring. one screw holding in the turn signal arm, one screw holding in the key cylindar.

to get the O ring back on, use a 3/4" deep well socket and hit with above rock/hammer.

Frank, thanks for the PM. I have already learned a few things from reading through it.

Yella, I am going to call you but I want to see if you have an entire column.

Apostle, Sometimes I would like nothing more than to beat on my Jeep with a large hammer or a rock but when the auto parts store loans you a puller for free it just seems more prudent to use it instead. I will keep the rock advice in mind in case it doesn't work out. LOL!

I broke the little piece of metal that bumps the starter when you turn the key all the way forward. I was told the only way to fix it is to put a new column in. The shop I took it to (I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I took it in) disconnected the mechanical from the electrical parts of the column. So I have a few steps to start my jeep and it looks like the column was popped and it is stolen but it still works.

Good luck, mine has been a huge pain in the ass until we figured it out. Mine is a 99, don't know if the older ones had the same problems.

Back