• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wagoneer Limited / Cherokee ? - Help

GForkD

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to Jeeps, and I need all the help I can get getting started in the Jeep world. I am Looking at a 1984 Wagoneer Ltd, which looks like a Cherokee to me, to fix up with my 14 yr old son for his first vehicle. First question is the Wagoneer Limited considered a Cherokee? This will be the first Jeep I have ever owned. This Wagoneer has been sitting in a barn for 20 years. No rust, new tires, runs and drives well 227xxx miles on I believe a 2.8L V-6. It has some, what I hope are, minor electrical issues; turn signals don’t work (however the flasher light do), no backlight on dash panel. I guess my question is what are any major issues to look for in the Wagoneer Ltd? Is the 2.8 v-6 a GM motor? Are electrical issues common, such as the turn signals and dash lights? Any feedback y’all could give me on what to look for Would be greatly appreciated

It is a v-6. Has 227k miles and still runs and sounds great. Doesn’t seem to have any leaks. Other than being a dog of a motor it seems to be pretty reliable. I was just trying to find out if there are any reoccurring problems with this year range and model of jeep

It is just that nobody really likes that motor. The 4.0L inline 6 is a much better motor. But no, you won't be swapping in an inline 6. AMC had to make some changes to the sheet metal up front in order to accomplish that.

The XJ Wagoneers have some special parts that are unique to them, the grill, headlight housings and rear tail lights being the obvious ones.

As long as you don't mind the dog of a motor there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the platform. Its age and duration of non-use should be cause for going through it and replacing all rubber lines (fuel, cooling, brakes, vacuum) and don't be surprised if there are issues with diaphragms such as the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Rubber simply doesn't age gracefully.

If the vehicle is in nice shape it could well be something to be proud of.

Back