• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ohc, cargo light, radio problem, mystery fuse box!

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
I put an 01 headliner in my 1995 rhd, Japanese spec XJ and fried something. I kept my original fully functional ohc, but tried to use the 01 rear cargo light because it fit the hole. The plug fit so I thought it was the same but the two outside wires are switched, didnt notice until I smelled burning plastic! Now there is no power to anything overhead, and the radio does not come on. Every fuse tests fine with the test light and what's worse is that my fuse block does not match anything online :/ I found a forum where an Australian guy posted a pic of the same block mine has asking for help but no one was able to answer him. Betting i did something to a relay but the under dash relays are a complete mystery too. Any ideas where to look or am I just doomed to rewire everything?

If your '95 has an unlock/lock door remote and other features, there's a circuit board somewhere in the OHC which could of fried which could be worst case.
If it does have a remote, does that still work?

Hopefully there's a blown fuse somewhere especially if the smell of burning wires stopped on its own. Just got to find it. The wire insulation could of burned off enough to create a permanent short circuit to the chassis.

Another possibility is the short circuit over current could of fried a connector somewhere. If all else fails, I'd pull every connector associated with the radio and lights and eye ball them carefully.

By the way i replaced my sagging headliner a bunch of years ago. Never want to do that again. What a PITA with most clips breaking off the trim pieces.

The rke is long gone, wherever the problem is it's wherever the 12v constant power comes from. I dont feel like running all the wires down, rhd 's are even more of a rats nest under the dash than the lhd's. I ended up just back feeding through the footwell light. I dont like doing that but everything works again so you cant argue with results.

Rke= Remote keyless entry. It's probably fried wherever it draws power from the fuse box, but like I said it's a rat nest and without a diagram it would be a serious pain to hunt down

I remember a post years ago someplace where that rke circuit board fried for some reason causing a fire in a XJ and i think totaling it.
That circuit board always has battery voltage on it for on demand keyless entry.
Be careful.

Like I said, the board's gone. Eventually going put in aftermarket RKE, but for the purposes of this problem it's a non issue. I looked into finding an owner's manual for it and it seems that there wasnt a RHD specific manual:/

Back