• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Gear patterns (PICS)

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. ok i just assembled the Front Dana 30 High pinion ring and pinion.They are 4.56 dana spicer gears. According to Randys ring and pinion my backlash tolerance can be from 6-10 thousanths of an inch. I am at 10 thousanths. i know its a little loose but the only way for me to make it tighter is to buy new bearings. I have no way to take the bearings off with out destroying them. Tell me what you think of my pattern and any advice you guys may have. Ring gear bolts 55lb/ft bearing caps 65lb/ft and preload is 13lbs/inch Thanks
16429.jpg

26432.jpg

36811.jpg

it doesn't look quite deep enough. with that locker, you're gonna want it tighter(around 6) get new bearings and do it right. then take a sander to the inside of the old ones so they can slip on and off, if they are somewhat intact.
not to hijack, but i also got a question. what the hell does that say/mean on the butt end of the pinion? (bottom pic) it looks like chinese, and i have that same exact marking on my 4.10s from a 4 banger-?

Your pinion is not set deep enough, you pretty much want it so that the markings are basically in the middle up and down(pinion depth) and side to side(backlash). add some more shim to the pinion to deepen it, then reset you backlash and that should do you fine. Oh and never sand the carrier or bearings so that they slide on and off, they like to be tight.

ok thanks guys. I knew the backlash was lose. Just trying to trick myself into thinking it might be ok. the bearings i just pressed on were new so with some work i was able to get them off with out damaging them. I will set the pinion deeper Probably .003" and tighten the backlash up. Depeding on how it goes i may have some more pics up by tonight. Thanks.

i was referring to sanding the old ones. no it won't be perfect, but a lot better than guessing with new bearings. he can use them for setup, then put on the new ones for final assembly and check. i really don't think he wants to pull brand new bearings on and off.

Back