• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf spring x-member pics

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to start on my front leaf spring conversion project. I am going to use either stock yj springs or stock toyota rear springs (whichever I can find cheaper) and just run spring over in the rear (I have an MJ).
here is the cross-member, I went and picked it up today. The shackles are 1/2" RE YJ lift shackles. Let me know your opinion. It is 4x4x 1/4" angle iron and the drivers side is a c-rock steering box reinforcement and the other side is just some 1/4" plating.
David
hanger2.jpg

hanger3.jpg

davidt said:
I only have 2 bolts on the pass. side of the x-member, you guys think this is going to be a problem?

I'd weld a piece of angle on the outside pointing in, to pick up the sway bar bolts like the C-rok plate does.

davidt said:
I only have 2 bolts on the pass. side of the x-member, you guys think this is going to be a problem?

I really dont want to come across as a jerk.... but, do YOU really think that hanging one entire half of your front suspension and axle off of two bolts is a good idea?? I sure don't.

Now, what you do have there is a fabulous start (btw, where did you get this and how much $$ if you dont mind). I would take the advice of 'lesslimited' and tie in the sway bar bolt holes. Then, I would drill at least two, maybe three more holes for the pass side mount.

Im really glad you posted these pics... I will be mimicking this design very closely in the near future. :cheers:

I picked it up off of a guy locally (sometimes you just get lucky and find stuff), I think he had about $90 or $100 into it (you could do it a lot cheaper, but it is a LOT easier using the c-rock steering brace). Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

looks good....I am also wondering what you are doing for the rear hanger. I dont think you will be able to use the control arm mounts with that crossmember because the front hangers are to far apart. You should try to keep the center pin distance 31.5 because most axles come with spring pads in that width. I know it was a pain in the ass to try an move my perch in .5in on the cast housing my front axle, then try to get the u-blots around it...

THRASHER said:
looks good....I am also wondering what you are doing for the rear hanger. I dont think you will be able to use the control arm mounts with that crossmember because the front hangers are to far apart. You should try to keep the center pin distance 31.5 because most axles come with spring pads in that width. I know it was a pain in the ass to try an move my perch in .5in on the cast housing my front axle, then try to get the u-blots around it...

Don't know yet, I am going to run a yj d30 in the front for now. The hanger was originally intended for a d60, but I am going to modify it. I am just going to weld the front mount where I need it, no big deal. That is a good idea on the 31.5", I am just going to have to wait and see what happens. I don't want to grow too big too fast (that is the reason for the d30). One step at a time. I will keep you all updated.

MJ1990buildup said:
I'm doing the same with my mj now also. Were you going to plate the lower control arm brackets or just redrill them?

The MJ lca are already reinforced, I am going to just redrill them. I am going to run yj springs.

You could always sleeve the passenger side in one or two spots to add a couple more bolts. Or sleeve it and add a plate on the other side of the passenger rail to really strengthen it. Or weld it all on.

BrettM said:
YJ D30 will suck, the steering options just aren't nearly what you will need.

Then what would you recommend for an axle, amigo? What do you think of the hanger? What do you guys think about using stock yj springs? Will I be level if I run front to rear?

Dont use a YJ dana30, almost no steering options, and it has the weak vacuum disconnect deal. I think the best axle choice is a dana44 out of a wagoneer. It takes very little modification to make it work, and you can run a high-steer set up.

Heres a few pics of my leaf spring set up. I have a waggy44, rear YJ springs with 2" AAL in them. My cross member is 2x4 steel that is bolted and welded to my bumper, and I used rear CJ hangers for the hangers.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/460784/4

Fletch85 said:
Dont use a YJ dana30, almost no steering options, and it has the weak vacuum disconnect deal. I think the best axle choice is a dana44 out of a wagoneer. It takes very little modification to make it work, and you can run a high-steer set up.

Heres a few pics of my leaf spring set up. I have a waggy44, rear YJ springs with 2" AAL in them. My cross member is 2x4 steel that is bolted and welded to my bumper, and I used rear CJ hangers for the hangers.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/460784/4

what highsteer setup did you run? also, your shackles look a little long, dont you get side to side movement without having a brace between them? what is your center -center pin width?

davidt said:
Then what would you recommend for an axle, amigo? What do you think of the hanger? What do you guys think about using stock yj springs? Will I be level if I run front to rear?
Waggy D44, F250 D44, F350 D60.... something with steering options.

I think the crossmember looks like a great start, but needs some work. tie it into more bolts and/or weld it to the frame.

lift height with stock YJ leafs will be about 4 inches. I doubt you can pull off the rear SOA with that little of lift, and I don't think you would want to anyway. YJ leafs are also too soft IMO. If you need junkyard stuff, get some Waggy leafs, they should be around 6" lift. Otherwise, I really like my 3.5" BDS YJ springs, military wrapped on both ends, no questions asked lifetime warranty, perfect spring rate, great flex, good price, etc.

also, I would weld a brace in the middle of the shackle if I were you to take a little slop out of the steering. unless you run a panhard or hydro-assist, you will still have a little slop which I found anoying, but it's awesome now with the hydro-assist.

THRASHER- I am running Chevy flat top knuckles with hight-steer arms and 1 ton TREs. The shackles are temporary. I will be shortening and bracing them soon. Dont remember the exact width, I want to say 32"s.

The front suspension of a YJ really sucks. Nice that you want to put it under an XJ....... :looser:

But, going backwards is really cool.

:wave:

:D :D

Goatman said:
The front suspension of a YJ really sucks. Nice that you want to put it under an XJ....... :looser:

But, going backwards is really cool.

:wave:

:D :D

ha ha ha ha - not really - panhard with leaf springs? Shackles that hang way out there? Steering under the leaves?

what boggles me is that he wants to put leafs on and then use a D30. most people swap to leafs to avoid coil and control arm bracketry expence on an axle UPGRADE...

Back