• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power steering at idle after Durango box upgrade

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my Durango steering box into my Renix era XJ... Everything went smooth til I drove it around. I got to a stop for a U turn and noticed I had no power steering at idle. The previous box was a stock unit and I am still running the stock pump. Everything was good until I swapped to the new box.
Any reasons you guys think this would happen?
This is my DD so I prefer not to drive like this for too long. Also don't wanna run the box dry as it is new.

Did you bleed the box properly & check the level afterwards? you want to siphon off the bubbles as much as possible to get a good read on things.
Any groans / noises?

I made sure to cycle it a few times with the vehicle off and both wheels off the ground... Everything sounds/looks fine. I drove it about 5 miles and parked it. Hopefully the froth goes away in the 3 hrs Its been parked. Ill go out and check it again

Rebuilt box, JY or new?
I'd say maybe the pump wasn't flowing enough but if it worked without issue on your XJ box, no reason it should be totally dead at idle just with a slightly beefier steering gear.
Gotta suspect you have a bad box.

try pump, but more than likely if the pump doesn't do it the rebuild box is bad. Its pretty easy to screw up a box rebuilding them. I did two in a row and screwed them both up.

Back