• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

I was gonna say, that is a hell of a sailboat of a truss :laugh:

I think its just aesthetics. If you look at the unicorn its actually only about 3" over the third member, those unicorns arent all that big.

20180716_135551-me.jpg

either way its burned home and staying, but yeah it looks retarded

I spent the weekend before last down at SFR working on the 44 for the rear of this, I still hadn't gotten around to it.

A few weeks before I had XCM install a Powertrax Grip Pro LSD with some thick cut 4.10's and a u-bolt yoke into the housing.

Then did the Iron Rock Offroad 44 truss.

20180707_164429-me.jpg

The truss covered the vent hole, and I never liked the stupid plastic stick in vent nipple anyway; so welded that hole up and drilled a new one, welding a proper nippe into its place.

Cal,

That build look like the one under my XJ, 4.10 gears, U bolt instead of straps, Explorer rear disks, welded up and relocated vent tube, Ected, :gag:,...Wait! scrub the Ected, you have something different.

I have one of those trusses almost 10 years that I want to add in the near future ( a month or two). Did you weld yours to the center section also or just the tubes? I want to weld to just the tubes.

I did not read what size tires you plan to wear. When my D44 was regarded to 4.10, the XJ had 15" wheels and 31" tires. I swore I would never go larger than 31" tires. Fast forward to today,...Larger brakes in the front that requires nothing less than 16" wheels. With JK take offs wheels and tires, I am back to the lacking performance of 30" tires and 3.55 gears. It is acceptable under most driving conditions but I wish I had a bit more. There are no long hill climbs in Florida so I do not know how it will do there. I remember the days with the cruise set on 70 MPH doing those long hills going through Virginia, the AW4 will gear hunt until I manually to 3.

I ran one small (.75") bead at the top of the third member with full knowledge the weld would crack at some point, but it helped keep things located while stitching the rest of it in.

I'm running 285/75/16 right now, because I had them already. They are a little bigger than I want and I'll probably run them until they are dead and go down to a 265. Even at that size I'd normally suggest 4.56 to people, but I'm doing a stroker as well and wanted to play around with combinations. As it works out I'm in the unique position where it will cost me next to nothing to regear of the 4.10's aren't deep enough, so I may as well play around with it a bit.

I ran one small (.75") bead at the top of the third member with full knowledge the weld would crack at some point, but it helped keep things located while stitching the rest of it in.

I'm running 285/75/16 right now, because I had them already. They are a little bigger than I want and I'll probably run them until they are dead and go down to a 265. Even at that size I'd normally suggest 4.56 to people, but I'm doing a stroker as well and wanted to play around with combinations. As it works out I'm in the unique position where it will cost me next to nothing to regear of the 4.10's aren't deep enough, so I may as well play around with it a bit.

Thanks Cal. I may try that small weld on the top or maybe a clamp or two if I could get them to work.

The 285/75/16 tires are calculated to be 32.8" verses the JK take offs 255/75/17 at 32.2". Too close to make much difference except maybe the weight difference.

The front drive shaft and axle shafts were removed years ago because it still have the 3.55 gears in it. I will regear both axles to 4.56 and keep the same tire size. The XJ as it sits is 4.5" higher than stock. A little fender trimming is in order before returning to the world of (mild) rock crawling. Giving some consideration to the 5 footers in my family, I will not be lifting it any higher.

I have 4.56's and like them well enough. The transmission wants to shift to early but it seem to be holding gears longer in the last few months. I'm looking at adding a RAD controller. Just not sure which version.

Surprised of the cracking on the housing welds. Welded quite a few here and never had one crack yet. But they are fully welded.

. Giving some consideration to the 5 footers in my family, I will not be lifting it any higher.

Go to Tractor supply. Buy a stirrup for like $12. Bolt it into the floorpan- they can flip it in/out when needed. Lots of laughs to be had. :)

Go to Tractor supply. Buy a stirrup for like $12. Bolt it into the floorpan- they can flip it in/out when needed. Lots of laughs to be had. :)

Brilliant idea,...Tractor supply here I come.

On second thought, Would the ladies embrace it or would it get me a longer stay in the dog house?

I have known a number of women who love the idea of stirrups :)

Oh boy! This is going to be good!

Gather around boys and girls, this is education time.

I am usually a good student with a touch of ADHD. Nothing that an experienced tutor cannot utilize to his or her advantage.

Back at it yesterday.

Axle under the car, with the new calipers on it.

20180729_112209-me.jpg

9/16 grade 8 u-bolts in. Blue loctite and torqued to 118 pounds per Deaver.

20180729_113313-me.jpg

Spiffy color matched brakes lines for the calipers from Crown Brake.

20180729_100226-me.jpg

3/8 hole drilled in the truss, 5/16 spacer to move the line away from it for chafing and bolted the T to it.

20180729_105548-me.jpg

20180729_115856-me.jpg

I may have to build a bracket to keep the line away from the shock, we'll see.

Built up a new hard line to go to the passenger side, following the profile of the truss.

20180729_120923-me.jpg

Somehow a series of photos are missing here. I may come back and add them later.

Bolted the existing driveshaft up. New u-bolts (not straps) with 5/16 top lock nuts; I'm not a fan of split ring lock washers on an offroad rig.

20180729_124054-me.jpg

Crown Automotive parking brake cables for disk brakes. Probably the best fit of any product I have seen from them.

20180729_133701-me.jpg

20180729_133656-me.jpg

20180729_134140-me.jpg

20180729_133654-me.jpg

Get in and adjust the new parking brake shoes in.

20180729_152503-me.jpg

20180729_152513-me.jpg

Filled it with fluid and tossed on a set of Bilstien 5100's for a late model F150, which were just the right length, similar compression valving but more rebound than XJ shocks.

20180729_154957-me.jpg

I have about 80 miles on it so far. The 4.10's feel pretty good, I might have been happier with 4.56 but its dead nuts 2500 RPM's at 80, which is fairly comfortable. I may change to 4.56 before doing the front, but I may keep it until the stroker is in and see how it runs. The new shocks smooth the rear out a lot. 100% not displeased.

Great work,...as usual. I am inspired and motivated to get the truss welded onto the D44 under my XJ then redo the break lines.

How close do you think the center of the truss get to the under side of the XJ?
Did you install shackle relocation brackets? It looks like about 4.5" high.

Not close. It's 2" or so over the top of the diff.

Will measure for you when it cools down.

Did you install shackle relocation brackets? It looks like about 4.5" high.

No. We lifted it on stock shackles and a 2.75" deaver leaf pack, set on the ground, measured the front and built a shackle to make the car sit level at 4".

There's a lot of advantage to doing the work at Stinkyfab. I can get to a point and be like "hey Dallas, I need a shackle in *exactly* these dimensions", or even better let him figure out the dimensions for me. ;)

Back