• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching to AN fitting for auto trans

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to go to braided SS and wondering what everybody is doing for the "quick-coupler" tube end on the radiator?

You mean this?

picture.php

For the bottom, after the quick connect is removed, you have a 3/8 inch tube sticking out, with a that ridge formed maybe half an inch or so from the end, there is enough room on the end to fit a compression fitting, again from ACE hardware. so get a compression to pipe thread, male or female to then connect to a pipe to AN adaptor

I'm not f***ing with a 800$ radiator.

I have found what I was looking for. I called Griffin yesterday to verify the lower fitting - it is "3/8" SAE Male Quick-dis-connect! I just got off the phone with Holley regarding all the specs. It should work perfectly!
611250.jpg

For the bottom, after the quick connect is removed, you have a 3/8 inch tube sticking out, with a that ridge formed maybe half an inch or so from the end

The stock tube sticking out of the bottom the radiator take a 3/8" transmission cooler oil line just fine and the ridge prevents the fuel injection hose clamp from slipping and coming off.
Years ago, the QD started leaking out in the boonies and this was the fix I came up with at the time and have remained with for the last 15 years, with no leaks or other issues.

Considering my factory quick couplers have been on/off several times in the past 18yrs, I'll take my chance with something meant for the job and better made!

Considering my factory quick couplers have been on/off several times in the past 18yrs, I'll take my chance with something meant for the job and better made!

I rarely pull the radiator, so it isn't much of an inconvenience .
Once connected, I leave the flex line alone, it's easier to disconnect it upstream.
As to being 'better made', what's to judge, the fitting on the Mopar radiator was designed to have an oil line connected to it and to withstand whatever forces are normally applied to it.
All I have done is to change the hose attachment method to some thing more dependable than the QDs. It certainly isn't less dependable than the OEM QDs.
I'm retired and my budget is limited to things that add actual functionality or dependability.

I think I got everything ordered that I'll need(except o-ring's/support clamps).

(2) 14 x 1.5 adapters
(2) 60* hose ends
(2) straight hose ends
(1) 90* hose end
(1) Quick-coupler end
(1) Inverted flare adapter
20' SS hose
11" x 11" Hayden plate cooler ( I have one now but with barbed fittings )

Hopefully this will be pretty much "plug - n - play " !

Mine is a Griffin !
P1080458_zpsek7mvixy.jpg

I think I've got everything gathered now, been ordering parts for both Jeeps(the new IRO boomerang shackles won't work for the other 2K). All I have to do today is drill/tap my brackets. I'm moving the cooler up about 4" and spacing it a 1/4" forward, it's going to be tight, but it should fit. Going to do the full install this weekend! I bought a "Koul Tool" to help with the SS line build, should take a lot of the hassle away!
https://koultools.com/product/an-hose-assembly-tool/

Got it all done today, will try it out tomorrow when my radiator sealant has cured. Made a mistake on the inverted-flare fitting, it was a 5/8"-18. Luckily I was able to get one today and also that I ordered plenty of extra angle fittings as the ones I thought would work at the trans were to tight of a angle! The Quick-coupler worked out excellent!
P1080547_zpsfmo2nspb.jpg

P1080549_zpskj0oyb9u.jpg

Back