NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 7th, 2006, 21:03
NAXJA Forum User

Securing replacement (aftermarket) radiator...

Greetings all.

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

I just finished swapping out my stock radiator (112K on the odo) for a CSF 3-row.

While replacing it, I noticed that the CSF had several threaded studs sticking out of the top, but none matched the holes in the (stock) bracket that sits on top of it. The stock rad. had a couple studs that, from what I remember, were secured by a couple nuts (i.e. they matched up with a couple of the holes in the bracket).

Anyway, I Dremel'd the studs off the CSF so the bracket would seat on top of it. Of course the bracket is still secured by 4 bolts (2 on each end) plus the 5 torx-head screws in front, so that's fine.

However, I noticed that there's a little play in the radiator. It seems secured, but I can still move the top of the radiator back & forth a little bit.

I suppose I could have drilled holes in the bracket to match up with the studs on the new rad., and secure with a couple nuts, but it's too late for that now.

Any thoughts? Or should I just forget it? It doesn't move around much, but I'm wondering if this could be a problem down the line.

Thanks...
Old September 7th, 2006, 21:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Securing replacement (aftermarket) radiator...

At least on RENIX, there are a couple "cushion mounts" - these are located on the studs atop the radiator (secured with nuts,) and then there are studs that stick out of these that are secured to the upper crossmember with nuts.

Did you notice cushions on top of the old radiator? They would have been (probably) about 2" wide and about 3-1/2" to 4" long...

5-90