• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Twist When Braking In Reverse

rokclimbertx

NAXJA Member #1267
ok... trying to get a diagnosis... searching has added worn shocks to this list, upper and/or lower control arm bushings worn, worn tie-rod ends...

here's what's happening... backing up at slow speeds (say out of a parking space) then applying the brakes causes the front axle to twist bottom forward... moving forward and braking is normal... also, when this twist occurs it seems like the brake cylinder is banging onto the rotor...

i know i have a worn bottom bushing on one front shock, can't get the lower control arms to move by hand... i'm at work and can't crawl under to get a good grip on the uppers... tie rod ends look good to me & a guy here (but there's a lot of miles on them)... new rotors & pads maybe 5 or 6 months ago...

2001 XJ, 230,000+ miles...

Unless I am reading something wrong you are going to need the Jeep on at least jack stands to make a definitive diagnosis. The control arms need to be stress free to check the wear/ deterioration of the bushings. I think it would be easier on a lift, but jack stands will do OK too.

rokclimbertx said:
ok... trying to get a diagnosis... searching has added worn shocks to this list, upper and/or lower control arm bushings worn, worn tie-rod ends...

here's what's happening... backing up at slow speeds (say out of a parking space) then applying the brakes causes the front axle to twist bottom forward... moving forward and braking is normal... also, when this twist occurs it seems like the brake cylinder is banging onto the rotor...

i know i have a worn bottom bushing on one front shock, can't get the lower control arms to move by hand... i'm at work and can't crawl under to get a good grip on the uppers... tie rod ends look good to me & a guy here (but there's a lot of miles on them)... new rotors & pads maybe 5 or 6 months ago...

2001 XJ, 230,000+ miles...
shocks wont affect the movment of the axle. tie rod ends wont affect rotation of axle as you described. The only thing that will affect the rotor/ caliper relation is the unit bearing. if the axle beam is rotating, it is your control arm/ bushings/bolts/ or brackets. If just the knuckle is rotating, it could be badly worn ball joint

had the same EXACT problem. replaced both LCA bolts on the frame side, cranked as tight as i could and haven't heard a peep since. the longer it goes without being fixed, the worse it'll get as the bolts start to ovall out the holes...

Back