NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 27th, 2019, 09:09
NAXJA Forum User

XJ stalling at random times. (another one)

Hello, I have been searching google and all of the forums for about 6 months trying to get my jeep fixed. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Symptoms started out as: frequent stalling. frequent backfires, or sputtering on acceleration leading to stalling. So I started some research. Replaced some parts. Symptoms go away for a week then they start up again. Currently its the most well behaved I have ever had it. It only breaks down once a day on average now. Always starts back up I just tap it into neutral and start it as its rolling.

list of new parts.
cap, rotor, wires, plugs,
camshaft position pickup located in dstributor
battery,
CPS
TPS
Idle air sensor
coolant sensor
replaced exhaust and both o2 sensors,
new brake booster as it had a leak (no other vacuum leaks)
upgraded to 4 hole injectors from dodge caravan

So Ive replaced everything I can think of, it runs perfectly normal most of the time. Then sometimes its hard to start (need to give it some gas and hold it for a minute in order for the TPS to catch it before it dies)

Sometimes when going down a specific hill by my house it dies. sometimes when going up the same hill it dies, always when I'm turning. IT ALWAYS DIES WHEN TURNING.
Most of the time the RPM's just bounce up and down when its acting up. Driving down the street, let off of the gas and the RPMs just bounce from 0-700ish trying to stay alive. Put it in Neutral and tap the gas to keep it going.

Any ideas? I have searched and replaced parts for the last 6 months. Winter is coming and a baby on the way. I can't keep having it break down. Thanks guys.
Old October 27th, 2019, 09:30
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ stalling at random times. (another one)

First would be what year? Second would be if you have put a scanner on it? Third did you buy genuine Mopar parts?
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:14
Freakish Hand Strength

Fourth, did you buy Bosch or NTK O2 sensors ?

Have you inspected all the engine wire harnesses, including the O2 sensor wire harnesses for melted or chafed wire insulation and damaged/broken wires ?

And finally, hard starting and having to feather the gas pedal to get the engine to run, strongly suggests low voltage, typically from poor charging, a faulty battery, or loose corroded alternator/battery wire and connections.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Battery terminals and battery wire connectors should bright silver, not dull gray and corroded. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, the ground wires at the coil, and the ground wires from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, wire brush, and clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt onto.

Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad wire connections, or poor grounds.

Place your DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Multi-Meter) on the 20 volt scale. First check battery voltage by placing your multi-meter's positive lead on the battery's positive post ( the actual post, not the clamp ) and the negative lead on the negative post. You need a minimum of 12 volts to continue testing. Next, leave your meter connected and take a reading while the engine is cranking. Record this voltage reading. Now connect your positive lead to the battery terminal stud on the starter and the negative lead to the starter housing. Again, crank the engine and record the voltage reading. If the voltage reading at the starter is not within 1 volt of battery voltage then you have excessive voltage drop in the starter circuit.

Typical voltage drop maximums:
• starter circuit (including starter solenoid) = 0.60 volt
• battery post to battery terminal end = zero volts
• battery main cable (measured end to end) 0.20 volt
• starter solenoid = 0.20 volt
• battery negative post to alternator metal frame = 0.20 volt
• negative main cable to engine block = 0.20 volt
• negative battery post to starter metal frame = 0.30
• battery positive post to alternator b+stud = 0.5 volt with maximum charging load applied (all accessories turned on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old October 27th, 2019, 18:56
NAXJA Forum User

Doing it when turning is a clue. I would look at the entire wiring harness for anywhere that might be rubbing or hitting anything. Also take apart any ground connections and clean them.
Old October 28th, 2019, 08:29
NAXJA Member

Dies while turning or going up or down a hill -- I'd be looking at the fuel pump/fuel tank -- The screen at the bottom of the fuel pickup is clogged

Does it make a difference if there is a full tank of fuel vs a quarter tank of fuel?