NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 9th, 2011, 22:59
NAXJA Forum User

Securing upper shackle nut

I am installing a new set of leaf springs, and in the course of changing the passenger side shackle the welds holding the nut in the frame rail pocket has broken loose. I was able to cut the bolt and remove the nut and bolt remainder. I have replaced the bolt with a factory spec bolt. Now I need to know what I should do to secure the nut. I have read the people that say to add washers to space the nut out to the inside of the frame rail and use a nylock nut to keep it tight. I was thinking of welding the nut back in through some drilled holes, or has anyone made the nut into a flag nut similar to the front upper control arm?

I really want to get this squared up so I can get my jeep back to drivable, thanks to all for any advice.
Old September 10th, 2011, 22:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Securing upper shackle nut

I drilled a hole in a 1/8" plate to use as a big washer on the inside the the frame rail and it's working so far. Also I'd like to know how much is good to tighten the shackle bolts and such. I have mine snug so they don't bind the the bushing when rotating but I heard something like the rubber will rotate or something in the eye when torqued.
Old September 11th, 2011, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

I don't want to put any undue stress on the bolt. Should I repost this in a different sub-section modified tech?
Old September 11th, 2011, 20:10
Freakish Hand Strength

Scroll to the bottom of this page, read the Similar Threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Scroll to the bottom of this page, read the Similar Threads.
While I appreciate your insight on the situation, I have looked at those postings and am asking something that is not covered by any of the existing posts, being has anyone attempted to make the previously welded nut into a flag nut within the pocket of the frame rail, NOT adding washers and spacing the nut into the main frame rail.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:43
NAXJA Forum User

No need to make a flag nut. Just trim a little bit to make the frame rail access hole large enough to get your ratchet and socket in there. But a flag nut would work fine if you make it strong enough.