• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

06 gmc sierra 4.3 auto, transmission / torque converter problem?

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
So after battling some issues with my jeep, I decided to let it sit a while, and bought an 06 4.3 gmc sierra 1500, with 90k on it. Very basic work truck. Ive had it 2.5 weeks, and put about 2k on it (been driving a lot). Today it decided to start acting up on me, and I think its the torque converter having issues with lock up, but Im interested in some second opinions.
So the symptom feels very similar to an upshift, in length of time, sound, and severity, but it causes a slight deceleration instead of an acceleration. The rpm do not change when it happens. It only happens above about 40mph, and seems to only happen when I am very light on the pedal. For example if I push down to get over the crest of a hill, when I get to the top, I come off the pedal to maintain speed. The transmission will shift up, then some time later (not constant) ill get this bump. It doesnt seem to happen if the transmission doesnt down shift first. It will happen in 3rd and 4th, but mostly 4th.
My only other guess is an engine miss that is noticeable with the converter locked up, but the engine runs great otherwise, no issues under acceleration.
Anyone have experience with a similar issue? Im taking it back to the dealership I bought it at, but Id like to have some information to throw at them when they tell me thats normal and that I should just live with it.
Thanks
Lightfoot

Back