NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 27th, 2019, 19:38
NAXJA Forum User

Ignition wonít cycle far enough to engage starter...

Bought a nicely done up 97 XJ. Only thing I donít like is I can only start it with the remote starter right now. Previous owner just ran it that way also but I donít like the idea that Iíd be screwed if the remote broke or malfunctions (I bought a spare). So when I put the key in the ignition it cycles but not far enough to engage the starter. Looking for advice on What I Can do to fix this other than getting a replacement ?
Old October 27th, 2019, 23:16
NAXJA Member #1310

Re: Ignition wonít cycle far enough to engage starter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgny518 View Post
Bought a nicely done up 97 XJ. Only thing I donít like is I can only start it with the remote starter right now. Previous owner just ran it that way also but I donít like the idea that Iíd be screwed if the remote broke or malfunctions (I bought a spare). So when I put the key in the ignition it cycles but not far enough to engage the starter. Looking for advice on What I Can do to fix this other than getting a replacement ?
Two things could be restricting the key rotation, either a bad lock cylinder or a bad ignition switch.
Pull the key lock and see if the removed cylinder rotates the full amount, if not try cleaning and lubing it or, if that fails, replace it.
If the key cylinder rotates the full distance, the ignition switch may be bad. You might be able to use needle nose pliers to rotate the ignition switch's tab to the start position without removing it.
You may need to remove the ignition switch first. Don't know, I have never tried. Either way, the switch needs to be tested.
How to replace the key lock and ignition switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reonxApWkVU
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate