NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 8th, 2019, 21:08
NAXJA Forum User

Where to Buy Air Cleaner Housing Top Securing Clip?

Hi....

For a 1990, inline six... need a replacement wire clip that secures the airfilter housing to the housing top. There are supposed to be six clips on the housing, but one is missing. What I am looking for is the bent spring steel wire type of clip, the later style XJ's had a stamped sheet spring steel kind of clip.

Who carries this part? Anyone got a spare one to sell? Or is it off to a wrecker?

Thanks!
Old November 9th, 2019, 02:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Where to Buy Air Cleaner Housing Top Securing Clip?

I would think the only place to get one would be at a wrecking yard
Old November 9th, 2019, 06:09
NAXJA Forum User

hit facebook marketplace for parts vehicles, boneyard, craigslist
Old November 9th, 2019, 15:08
NAXJA Forum User

ebay says it has everything, i have found some odd things on there.
Old November 11th, 2019, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

Got an airbox from a 2001 XJ at wrecker. The box is much more rigid than that of the 1990. has many vertical ribs molded into it to stiffen it. My lid fits, but tabs on one side of the box need be cut off to make lid fit.

I will need to cut the warm up air valve assembly off my old air box and graft onto the new one. Evidently the 2001 jeep didnt have the warm air tube hooked to the intake like the 1990 did.

Question.. Were there jeep years, and which years that had both the more rigid airbox, AND the warm up air valve? When was the warm up air system eliminated?

I assume I need the warm up air system to pass smog testing, correct?
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:39
NAXJA Member #1310

Not sure what an 1990 XJ air cleaner looks like. Is it like this?
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...agram=000018Y7

Looks like a later model air cleaner except for the hot air intake on the front of the box.
The air cleaners are made of a plastic that can be glued with a plastic epoxy.
You may be able to take a later model box, cut the front out of your old box and graft the hot air intake onto the later model box.
Will an inspector notice the lack of the hot air intake? Depends on if it looks stock, the experience of the inspector and if the smog computer's visual inspection list includes a hot air intake.
Last time my 2001 was inspected, I was tagged for having a silicone intake hose, the one between the air cleaner and throttle body. It had to be replaced with an original hose to pass.
So much of this in visual, the inspector had no clue it was a stroker. Guess it doesn't matter as long as it burns clean and the ECM is happy.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Not sure what an 1990 XJ air cleaner looks like. Is it like this?
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...agram=000018Y7

Looks like a later model air cleaner except for the hot air intake on the front of the box.
The air cleaners are made of a plastic that can be glued with a plastic epoxy.
You may be able to take a later model box, cut the front out of your old box and graft the hot air intake onto the later model box.
Will an inspector notice the lack of the hot air intake? Depends on if it looks stock, the experience of the inspector and if the smog computer's visual inspection list includes a hot air intake.
Last time my 2001 was inspected, I was tagged for having a silicone intake hose, the one between the air cleaner and throttle body. It had to be replaced with an original hose to pass.
So much of this in visual, the inspector had no clue it was a stroker. Guess it doesn't matter as long as it burns clean and the ECM is happy.
Yes, the link you provided is showing my 1990 aircleaner box.

Did the later xjs have a warm up hot air hose to intake?
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know what they changed but my 2000's don't have any hose other than to the valve cover breather and the throttle body.
Old November 12th, 2019, 09:21
NAXJA Forum User

I wonder how drivability will suffer without the warm up ait hose? My old VWs have a warm up hose, my old Triumph does too. I will be doing a sub freezing Death Valley trip this winter in the XJ.

If the warm up hose is not needed for drivability, I can leave it off except for smog testing, use the good tight sealing later air box for all my dusty trips, and the leaky but warm air equiped air box for testing.

I am using my air box top, as it has provision for the valve cover breather hoses.

Anyone have an early XJ with warm up hoses, and knows how she runs with hose deleted?
Old November 12th, 2019, 10:03
NAXJA Member #1310

1997+ XJ air cleaners do not have pre-heat hoses. Fuel injected engines usually do not need a pre-heat hose.
Living in most parts of California shouldn't require pre-heat either.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old November 12th, 2019, 17:15
NAXJA Member #920

My '92 doesn't have it either, but then 91 and up is H.O. and 87-90 is RENIX.