• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000/4.6/Screamin-Demon/Holley MSD

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
It has started I'll keep you updated on the progress.

My MSD will be here tomorrow, the coil will be here Wed. I got some more chromoly coming and I have the order in for 2 more 3' K Fab harness's.

I received the MSD today. It comes with a 6' main wire harness and wire outputs for power and accessories. I am not going to use the harness and I'll "clean" up the rest. Waiting for lots of things to show up so I can get really going.

I've got a lot of wiring to deal with!
P1080688_zpsvazxkvut.jpg

Well give or take a 1/4", this where it's going to go.
P1080689_zpskjw4xgfl.jpg

I received my Screamin Demon coil. It feels heavier at 3lbs3oz but I need to check the JK coil when I take it of. The resistance is lower at .6 ohms vs the JK at 1.0 ohms. I'm still waiting for all the new connectors plus the 2 wiring harness's.
P1080690_zpsnp853bs8.jpg

P1080691_zpsyx1g0okt.jpg

Some I am wondering about a couple things.

Is the MSD a coil?
Guessing that is going to require you to get creative with wiring?

The Screamin' Demon is for a JK with the 3.8?
I am guessing you are trying to figure out if it will work with an '00?
Does the harness from Ksuspensions plug onto the Screamin' Demon coil?

The MSD is just a Multiple spark dis-charge for a distributorless system.

The wiring won't be bad, it's going to be plug-n-play. If you look at the one pic the MSD comes with a by-pass plug in it were to become in-operable.

The Screamin Demon coil is for a JK as is the stock JK coil I just installed.

The K fab is is a direct fit for the conversion.
P1080687_zps1vydmpzp.jpg

OK. Thanks for that.

There is no way I am spending that much money for the MSD but was curious.

Cause I was wondering if I should maybe upgrade.

A Caravan aftermarket coil is what comes with the Ksuspension set up.
Or you can buy the Mopar one for the same vehicle.
Or you can go with the Viper/V10 Ram coil in either an aftermarket or Mopar one.
Then there is the Screamin' Demon JK.

Going to be curious as to what you figure out with the resistance you were talking about above and if it is a suitable part.

Not going to lie. All this goes over my head.

Couple of points:
I wanted spark plug wires, that's where this started, the MSD was a after thought to get better HP/MPG.

You could do the MSD unit with the factory coil rail.

The Screamin Demon coil is the "JK/Viper" coil.

The resistance is critical because the increased amperage on the PCM driver(might burn out), in my set-up the MSD powers the coils.

I did not understand at first that the MSD was not a coil but an add on feature for the coil.

Also did not realize that the resistance you were concerned about was for when used in conjunction with the MSD.

Thinking it might have been a problem with the Screamin' Demon coil when used alone in an '00 XJ.

In my defense as I stated above this all goes over my head. LOL.

So thinking if and when I do this just go with the Screamin' Demon coil, the Ksuspension harness, their bracket or fabricate my own to do what you did, get some quality spark plug wires, and call it a day.

By the way thank you for taking a deep dive into this and figuring all this out.

I am also concerned that using the Screamin Demon coil in the "bypass" mode will be a problem for the PCM.

As far as I know the K fab kit only comes with the standard JK/Viper coil not a Screamin Demon (aftermarket) coil.

Also did not realize that the resistance you were concerned about was for when used in conjunction with the MSD..

It's not when used in conjunction with the MSD.

Because the MSD powers the coils separately is why I'm using the MSD.

If you do a Screamin Demon coil using the factory system your PCM will see high driver currents.

This the bypass mode thing just when using the MSD?

the Ksuspenison kit comes with a Spectra C595.
It lists all these at RockAuto for the application.

CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER 2001-2002
CHRYSLER PACIFICA 2005-2008
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 2001-2010
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2001-2008
DODGE CARAVAN 2001-2007
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 2001-2010
DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP 2004-2006
DODGE RAM 2500 PICKUP 1997-2003
DODGE RAM 3500 PICKUP 1997-2003
DODGE VIPER 1997-2006
JEEP WRANGLER 2007-2011
VOLKSWAGEN ROUTAN 2009-2010

Here is the thing. If you look up a Grand Voyager Mopar coil you and look up the 6 coil part of a Viper/Ram V10 Mopar coil you get to different part numbers.

If you check out the Spectra coil on other sites they don't list the Viper or the Ram.

https://www.carid.com/spectra-premium/ignition-coil-mpn-c-595.html

Scroll down the page to see the applications.

So I wonder what the deal is. You can use it, it will work apparently, but are you getting all the performance out of the coil that you can?

The "bypass" is a option with the MSD kit in case goes wrong "it" you can remove "it" from the system going back to stock.

In theory the Dodge coils (00-01 XJ,Viper, and anything running the 3.8 motor the coils draw 12amps, the Screamin Demon coil draws 16amps.

From the other thread..
The other option is to try it with another new PCM(which I have), my existing PCM is a "custom tuned" one so I don't want to damage it.

I should add that I've already been thru one PCM due to wire harness meltdown and do not want to go thru that again. It was a major PITA to repair the harness.

I think your missing that the MSD supplies it's own power and only uses the PCM for "trigger".

Back