• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FORD 8.8 SWAP

as long as it has disc brakes it's the same as any other. They were all 31 spline, and the only difference between a v8 one and a v6 was some brackets mounted to the diff.
If you're planning on getting a lunchbox locker or mini spool make sure you get one with an open diff. Otherwise you can rebuild the LSD while your changing gears.

check over at one of the ranger/explorer boards for a list of tags and what they mean.

Is there any difference in overall length between the years?

From what i've read it's a tad shorter than the XJ axle and some people use adapters to get it back to normal stance.

Wasn't sure if there were different 8.8 lengths from different years...

As far as I know there isn't a difference in length between the years. I went with the 98 just because that's what I found a deal on. It does make the width a bit shorter but im planning on installing the C-clip eliminator from superior when I get the money. Also, the drive line is moved over to the passenger side a bit. Not too big of a problem unless you have a big muffler.

Last edited:
Is there any difference in overall length between the years?

From what i've read it's a tad shorter than the XJ axle and some people use adapters to get it back to normal stance.

Wasn't sure if there were different 8.8 lengths from different years...

the only wider 8.8s are full size, and the mustang 8.8s aren't 31 spline or the proper bolt pattern.
spacers or a super 88 kit to get the width proper.

this has been covered over and over. just look at the bottom of this page for links to 6 other threads about the 8.8

Back