• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pocono 500

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Worked the pocono 500 today, spent 8 hours taking tickets, checking coolers and pointing out directions. All I got to say is those nascar attendees are something else :D , considering that I riipped somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 tickets they were well behaved on the way in with their coolers full of liquid refreshment and a 'bit well oiled' on the way out with much lighter coolers :D Upside was they could not take in bottles of brew, only cans so we were given a few gifts of corona, hard lemonade, smirnoff and some others :D :D :D and no, we were not 'well oiled' I'm working on that now as a treatment for sore feet and sunburn....
One cool part was the B-2 flyover before the start of the race as well as the A-10's but having worked with the A's they were kinda old hat, however the B-2 was quite a sight, very alien looking as I had never seen one up close an in person, only pictures, positively eerie in person almost like it should not be flying.
The only thing that really suprised me alot was the cost of the tickets, $80 for the grandstands and $200 for the higher up seats, one family's tickets, 12 of them, could have bought me a 4" lift installed as well as tires and wheels. I kinda kept my self amused that way, one family = arb front bumper, another family = XD9000i.
The motorhomes were something else for the overniters in the infield.
All in all quite an experience but my feet are killing me, I have not stood in one spot w/o a break in many many many years, thanks be that it was asphalt and not concrete, the ashpalt softened up when the sun came out, oh did I mention the sunburn, thank god I ran around in my sons YJ for a few days with no top or doors and just shorts and sneakers on or I woulda been one cooked puppy..... :cool:

Sounds like fun. didn't get to watch that one on local TV though I'm not a huge fan of redneck racing. I was channel surfing between the Firstone Indy 400 and the American LeMans Series Infineon Grand Prix to satisfy my race spectating urges. Open wheel oval and multi catagory road racing!
on the one hand you have open wheel indy cars making left hand turns(gets old) at 223 mph inches from each other and on the other hand you have open cockpit closed wheel LeMans Prototypes hitting 160 mph on a tight twisty hilly road coarse with only a short straight away while blowing past GT/GTS class Ferraris and corvettes by just inches.

xj(I need speedvision and ESPN2)blue

Back