• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to move to to Texas

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. I'm looking at relocating my family to the beautiful state of Texas. Most likely the DFW area. We have family in Aubury and it would be nice for our kids to interact with them, so maybe closer to them. What kind of wheeling is there to do out there? Considering selling the Jeep before I make it out. Tons, 37's, 2.5" coilovers and trailing arms out back. I'm used to California desert and rocks. Not sure what to expect in Texas.

I spent some time stationed in So Cal. Compared to there the wheeling here is pretty much non existent. Not to say there is none but nothing remotely compared to Cali. Also I found the terrain in California to be far more beautiful than most parts of Texas with exception of the hill country and big bend areas.

Close to the DFW area (I live about an hour east of Dallas), we have Bridgeport on the north west side of Fort Worth and Barnwell Mtn/Gilmer to the east of Dallas by about 2 hours, both are pay to play. For what it's worth Arkansas isn't too far away and they have a lot of National Forest service areas that are pretty nice, same for New Mexico but is a good bit further than Arkansas. There are other areas in Texas but they require quite a drive to get there. It's faster for me to get to the Carson National Forest in New Mexico than to get to Big Bend Texas.

There is very little (practically zero) public access land out here compared to the western part the US. Texas is very proud of their personal land ownership and it shows when no matter where you drive you're flanked by a fence line.

As for selling the Jeep. I did the same thing. I grew up west of Fort Worth in a small town so knew what I was getting into coming back. I sold my 97 when I moved back to Texas. Fast Foward a few years to now and I've got another XJ lol.

Last edited:
serious wheeling involves a trailer and a couple hours haul. and you're confined to park and surrounded by idiots. headed to Arkansas in March (4 hr drive, trailered) for some national forest action.

I'll be up in the Quachita Ntl Forest in march as well. Probably going to run the K Trail and part of the Oklahoma Adventure trail on our way out.

I spent some time stationed in So Cal. Compared to there the wheeling here is pretty much non existent. Not to say there is none but nothing remotely compared to Cali. Also I found the terrain in California to be far more beautiful than most parts of Texas with exception of the hill country and big bend areas.

Close to the DFW area (I live about an hour east of Dallas), we have Bridgeport on the north west side of Fort Worth and Barnwell Mtn/Gilmer to the east of Dallas by about 2 hours, both are pay to play. For what it's worth Arkansas isn't too far away and they have a lot of National Forest service areas that are pretty nice, same for New Mexico but is a good bit further than Arkansas. There are other areas in Texas but they require quite a drive to get there. It's faster for me to get to the Carson National Forest in New Mexico than to get to Big Bend Texas.

There is very little (practically zero) public access land out here compared to the western part the US. Texas is very proud of their personal land ownership and it shows when no matter where you drive you're flanked by a fence line.

As for selling the Jeep. I did the same thing. I grew up west of Fort Worth in a small town so knew what I was getting into coming back. I sold my 97 when I moved back to Texas. Fast Foward a few years to now and I've got another XJ lol.

As someone from so cal I agree with this 100%. I too sold my rig then ended up buying another

We have some farmer's land that is public access certain times of the year around here for dove season. Problem is everyone and their mother flock to these places to "hunt" and they aren't that large.

For the most part everyone I know who hunts deer does so on a lease that they either get themselves or go in as a group for. The Fire Department I work for has a department lease and I think it's something like 500 dollars a year per person up to a capped number of people.

I remember being stationed in SOCAL the public land I used for wheeling, camping and riding motorcycles was opened for hunting (specifically talking about Toro Peak area here) and it looked like a total free for all there. One dude was with a family or group and they were a rag tag bunch with at least one that wandered though our campsite carrying a 1911 tucked into his pants no rifle or anything smoking a joint lol.

So is there any public land to hunt in Texas?

there is some "type 2" land but usually very crowded and almost dangerous walking around in camo with armed strangers. almost all good hunting is on private or leased land.

Back