• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Condenser

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
The AC of my 1988 Cherokee is not working anymore; I changed the compressor, expansion valve and filter, but now it lost pressure and I'm pretty sure it's the condenser, so I have a few questions about it:

1. The condenser it has only measures like 15" wide, while the radiator is 30" wide; this is strange because the condenser is not in front of the AC fan, only in front of the fan-clutch, so I'm like 99% sure I should have a 30" wide condenser. How can I know if I have the right condenser? How can I know that the original one will fit the hoses if they have been altered? I mean, what kind of connectors does the original condenser have?

Regards

uh...that 15" wide one is most likely the tranny cooler. is it auto? if so, then that's what it is.

the condensor is the size of the radiator. take your grille off, if you have a 30" long piece that's 1" or so thicker than the ends of the radiator are, that's your condensor.

otherwise, you're on your own...

Have you done a dye test? Unless you've been in a wreck ive never heard of a bad condenser... have you replaced your o-rings?

Well, the o-rings haven't been replaced; in this case I see that the condenser is not the right one, so I think this could be causing overheating in the condenser and thus failure in the system; as I said, the condenser is only half as wide as the grille (!5").

What engine are you running? The 4.0, 2.5 and diesel use different condensors. MY '88 4.0l's condensor is full size to my rad.

My '88, 4.0L, condenser is 10.5x30 inches.
As far as where the leak may be, don't overlook the evaporator; a common leak area.

schmiedel said:
Well, I have the 4.0 engine, and the condenser is not bigger than 10.5 x 15 inches; this means I should get the right one.

Wow, that is way too small, someone definately did some inadequite customizing there. This an XJ, and not an MJ right?

Sounds like your on the right track as that would cause high pressure and temperature in the high pressure side.

It's a 4.0 XJ, so I'm pretty sure it should have the bigger one. Now the question is, should I buy a new one (about 180USD here in Mexico), or should I look one up at a junkyard? What's the risk on a used one?

Regards

First, I would be reluctant to buy a used condenser. Internal corrosion is quite likely on an used unit that's been sitting without the presence of freon.
Second, I'd like to know if your A/C has ever worked properly, especially down there in Mexico, where it it's quite warm in the summer? I'm curious from a technical point of view. The size of a condenser is very important in the design of a given application. Why would your XJ have a significantly smaller condenser than, as far as I can tell, the average XJ?

Ecomike said:
Wow, that is way too small, someone definately did some inadequite customizing there. This an XJ, and not an MJ right?

Sounds like your on the right track as that would cause high pressure and temperature in the high pressure side.

uh dude, whether or not it's a comanche or a cherokee, it's ALL the same.

comanches and cherokees are identical from the driver's seat on up, with the exception of the lower control arm mounts, and wiring that runs to the rear, and a few trim pieces.

I-f*ing-Dentical

The Comanche has less interior cubic feet of space to cool than an XJ. Fewer doors, fewer windows, less heat load for the AC. Therefore possibly a smaller condensor, but I was guessing at the smaller condensor possibility, don't know for sure. Just trying to make sense out of his condensor size, short of some desperate idiot putting a smaller replacement condensor on it.

Sounds like the desperate idiot makes the most sense on this one.

For $100 for a new one I would not risk 50 plus dollars of freon on a used condensor.

jeepcomj said:
uh dude, whether or not it's a comanche or a cherokee, it's ALL the same.

comanches and cherokees are identical from the driver's seat on up, with the exception of the lower control arm mounts, and wiring that runs to the rear, and a few trim pieces.

I-f*ing-Dentical

yeah, it would make sense for it to be smaller, but it isn't.

Well, I have gotten prices on a new condenser, and it's around 130USD here in Mexico + local shipping; now the question, what else should I change if I replace the condenser? New evaporator, dryer, etc?

Regards

If the rubber hoses are showing any signs of age or wear at the ends, I would replace them too. If the system totally lost pressure I would replace the filter dryer. If there is still R-12 in the system and you cover the connector ends while replacing the condensor, and swap the condensor and close, seal the system in under a few hours, then the current filter dryer should still be OK, but be sure to pull and hold a good vacuum for a few hours before you put the R-12 back in.

Also verify that it holds the vacuum for several hours as a final leak test of the system before you recharge it with R-12.

Lastly, before you recharge it, drain all the oil out of the old condensor and any hoses and or dryer you replace, measure the total oil volume removed and then add that much fresh AC compressor oil (mineral oil for R-12, not the new R-134a oils) back into the system before you close it up and recharge it. You can pour the oil into the condensor or high pressure hose.

Back