• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Noise

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
The wife ran the XJ outa gas yesterday and she tried rpetedly to get it started again as well as putting it in gear and cranking w/the starter.

Anyways before this happened the fuel pump was always quiet and sounded like air hissing but now it sounds loud and completely different, kinda like that sound the washer pump makes when you squirt the rear window.

Did she break anything fuel pump wise?
90XJ 4.0 AX-15 192K

The fuel pump is designed to run covered with fuel,it keeps it cool.Running the tank out may have overheated the pump.Repeatdly try to start it ran the pump just that much more.It may have damaged it,it may run for years.It might quit the next time you try to start it.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The fuel pump is designed to run covered with fuel,it keeps it cool. Running the tank out may have overheated the pump.

Running the tank dry has DEFINITELY overheated the pump and that's why it's noisy. The noise is a warning sign that it's going to quit altogether very soon so replace it before it does.
Murphy' Law states that it'll happen when you're very far away from home and therefore you'd need a tow truck to come to the rescue, so don't get Murphed.

Fortunately the fuel pump is mounted at the front of the tank on the XJ so replacing it isn't too much of a chore. Just remember to use a brass punch (not steel) to remove the locking ring, otherwise the results could be rather explosive. Getting the locking ring back on can sometimes be a PITA.
If you don't trust yourself to do the job, get a competent mechanic to do it. The whole job should take no more than 30 minutes.

Concur. The biggest advantage of the XJ is that the fuel pump/sender access is at the front of the tank, rather than on top, which means you don't have to drop the tank. It takes me a half-hour to change the pump, but I've got practise - plan on an hour.

DEFINITELY use a brass rod or drift, or some hard plastic. Sparks near fuel vapours just plain ain't good - and I don't want to see anyone have to put "NASA" on their XJ. A lightweight brass hammer won't go amiss, either - I take no chances (I use a 1# brass hammer and a 3/8" brass drift when I have to remove that access plate.)

MAKE SURE you get the screws for the electrical connections nice and tight - use "star" washers if you're not sure. Don't use those "split lockwashers" - they just aren't worth a damn (saving grace? They're cheap.)

Also, MAKE SURE you are somewhere below a half-tank before you get started - the lower, the better. Use a syphon if you have to. If you have enough fuel in the tank, you will get a face-ful when you pull the access plate. I've not had it happen to me, but I can imagine it wouldn't be fun.

Given the amount of crap that collects on the underbody of pretty much any vehicle, I'd also highly suggest some sort of safety glasses - or other eye covering - so you don't get some painful muck in your eyes when you start whacking. Having to wear glasses all the time helps me - but I'll still wear a "full face shield" for jobs like this.

5-90

Thanks for the tips.

The only experience I have with fuel systems besides filters was on my Grand Wagoneer, I changed out the fuel pump(mechanical) then I changed out the sending unit. The lock ring was in a recessed spot, is that how it is on XJ's? I'd look right now but it's so damn cold out.

*************new poster needs help, starting here****************

sorry to revive such an old thread, but being someone who always says 'search' I thought it best.

so my milege has dropped about 75km per tank in the last month. It had been sitting for just over a month, and before that had just replaced the head gasket.
now when starting it may want to stall out if I touch the gas, idling is a little off, either bit high/low, and sounds just a little off... even my buddies wife asked why it sounded weird.
I had thought maybe O2 sensors were going, and have ordered some anyway, but today while grabbing something out of the trunk while running I noticed a light squeeling sound from the tank. I would guess the culprit is a fuel pump on its way out, after 257k I figure I got my moneys worth out of it. I don't normally drive it empty. But once in the last month I drove on the 'fuel light' as I knew the cheaper station was 20km away... but this milege problem was already happening, perhaps this just made it worse.

So with what the symptoms I have, and the sound I hear, does this seem like a pump problem? I should be able to get one in in a day or two so thats not prob, and in that time my fuel tank would be near empty so it'd be a good time to do it.

Thanks for any help.

just thinking that while I am switching the fuel pump, I may try and get anything else I can while in there.

so without dropping the tank, is there anything else I can do? or would it be worth it to drop the tank to change filter and anything else?

After you disconnect the old stuff, use the fuel check valve under the hood to drain the line.

You should go ahead and replace the pump sock filter since you'll have all the stuff out already. You can adjust the fuel gauge sender now, if it's off any.

You should probably replace the in-line fuel filter while all the gas is out of the lines.

While you're at it, you could also do the go-jeep mod to get more gas in your tank.

I'm going to do all this when I drop the tank for the floor pan swap. Actually I'm just bolting new stuff in, new tank and everything.

as long as this old thread has been revived, just to double check, the fuel check valve (mine has failed) that keeps the gas in the line is part of the pump correct?

This may doublepost but here goes...

New question: I have the squealing pump symptom and am planning on replacing it in the next couple of days. Suggested other items to do are the sock filter and possibly the 'added capacity' mod. Anything else?

Would the pump going out effect performace? I am assuming that the fuel pressure has dropped.

The Jeep is shifting really late, starting the day after the pump began howling. Has this happened to anyone?

Back