• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oversize races?

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
before i knew better i put some money in my d-35 years ago( locker etc.) anyhow i just replaced my rear axle seals and bearings and the races fit loose. so we put in some locktight and i am not sure that will work this time, although i know it has before.( currently i am getting a chirping noise from the rear of the jeep and i am not sure if it is the races, brakes or whatever, but i am suspicious of bearings) would it not be true that some company, machinist, etc., should be able to make some oversize races if i use micrometer and current bearing measurments to figure out size needed?

so your carrier bearing races are moving around in the housing? did you reuse the old races? who replaced the bearings?

He said axle brgs. not carrier brgs.

The cups don't have to be a press fit in the hsg. Its OK if they can be removed and replaced by hand. But they should be tight enough that you can't feel clearance by hand.

so he did. my bad!

Explorer, thanks for your input. just to clarify, are you sayin just as long as i do not have "slop" up and down and side to side i may be ok? i have thought about pullin them again, re-locktight and let it set up for 24 hrs.( i was forced to drive it right away last time when i put it back together) and then try reinstalling shafts, or i could peen them possibly, although i don't want to modify the housing if possible. the housing is not scored, or scratched up fyi. thanks again.

Back