• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to replace this screw / fastern clip

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ. One of my top 2 e-fan support screws is missing from where it mounts on that top cross support. There's a small black C shaped piece of metal that's stamped to accept the screw. C piece goes onto the edge of the cross support and then the screw goes through the hole.

Anyone know how I can identify this part number where I can order it, of what this piece is called so I can just look for a universal one? I know I could just shove a screw through it but I'd rather get the right piece.

Well they are called spring plate nuts, spring nuts, plate nuts, clip nuts, U nuts and possibly a few more. Some have an actual nut on them for a machine screw. Others have no nuts but will accept sheet metal screws. They look like this.

ueJ1uvP.jpg

You can find them in any hardware store.

I believe they're M6 x 1.0 bolts about 15mm long. M6 U-nuts are avsilable at most auto parts stores. If the ones they aren't quite right, as happens to me seemingly 90% of the time, a Riv-Nut works great in this application.

Thanks for the great advice. After I got mine out I realized they're not exactly just stamped metal. Apparently they're called the turret type as they have an extended section of maybe 3-4 thread turnings that secure the screw in better...just like the kind in your link blu3fan. So big thanks for that because those are probably the exact ones I'll get...fairly good price too for so many.

Only question is...the rest of the anchors like this one that still have their screw take an 8mm socket to remove. Does this mean this is an M8 machine screw?

So big thanks for that because those are probably the exact ones I'll get...fairly goodOnly question is...the rest of the anchors like this one that still have their screw take an 8mm socket to remove. Does this mean this is an M8 machine screw?

No. One thing I see a lot generally, and on this forum A LOT, are people specifying fasteners by the size of wrench or socket they use to turn them, which is completely wrong. A fastener is specifies by it's thread diameter, thread pitch, and length first and foremost.

EDIT: No. One thing I see a lot generally, and on this forum A LOT, are people specifying fasteners by the size of wrench or socket they use to turn them, which is completely wrong. A fastener is specifieD by it's thread diameter, thread pitch, and length first and foremost. For a given thread size a manufacturer can select a couple different hex head sizes. For instance, on M6 bolts I have seen them with 10mm heads, which is the most common, 8mm heads, and even 12mm heads. To get an idea what's out there, have a look at either McMaster Carr's or Bel Metric's websites. They have quite a variety to look at.

Back