• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch and Actuator Rod

mrpeepers

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

I have searched all over and i'm not sure anyone has talked about this.

I took spent yesterday removing and attempting to reinstall my ignition switch on my 90 XJ, Auto, 4.0. I got it off no problem but I could not get the actuator rod to fit into the slider switch of the new ignition switch. The actuator rod end points straight up. To fit into the slider switch it has to be rotated 45 degrees. When I force the rod, it's strained and I can't move use the key to move the rod wthout it popping out, or not moving at all down the column. Any one else run into this problem?

One last thing. In the process of installing, I drop the steering column and began to disassemble the steering column. The hazard was broken on the side of the column and the AW4 rod was disconnected. Do I have install the AW4 rod? Do I have to install the Hazards? This is not my daily driver.

Thanks

You could pull the trim around the AW4 shifter and disconnect the other end, thereby eliminating the lockout at the shifter. I'm not sure what you'd have to do on the column end though.

My 87 XJ used to be a pukegoat 5 spd, someone swapped in the AW4.

I have no Shift interlock on mine, so evidently it's not needed...

As for the actuator for the switch? No Clue....

I swapped an AW4 into my MJ and didn't bother with the interlock. I just wasn't sure what was in the column and if it needed removed.

I'm pretty sure the AW4 was unconnected in my column as the shifter has been free.

The hazard was before I took the column apart, is there a switch on the turn signal cluster that will go off if the hazard is not reinstalled? I just don't know that I need the hazard.

The ignition rod is my big sore spot. I just don't know how to rotate it to make it fit appropriately. Obviously, I have to mount the ignition switch. I can't as it is now without bending or forcing.

Are you sure you have the switch turned the correct way. I just looked at an one I had sitting around (for a 90, 4.0. auto) the hole for the rod should be facing down, and the prongs for the plugs should be parallel to the ground, and facing towards the passenger side. If the plug is turned around the wrong way, the rod would have to bend over, and the prongs would be facing upward.

Also, I think the switches for the tilt and non tilt coloumns are different.

As mlanicca says, it should NOT need "rotating". The rod should simply slide into the hole in the switch. Make sure the key is in the correct position and the switch is in the correct detent. When I did my 88, I think it was Accy and switch slid fully "forward". The switch should have come with directions (like anyone ever reads them).

mlanicca said:
Are you sure you have the switch turned the correct way. I just looked at an one I had sitting around (for a 90, 4.0. auto) the hole for the rod should be facing down, and the prongs for the plugs should be parallel to the ground, and facing towards the passenger side. If the plug is turned around the wrong way, the rod would have to bend over, and the prongs would be facing upward.

Also, I think the switches for the tilt and non tilt coloumns are different.

Thanks, your dead on.

I was dumb and after a trip to the junkyard, I now realize there's only 2 ways to mount the switch and I just opted for the one that doesn't work. :doh:

I think i'm good now, also found out my turn signal (hazard section was broken) so I picked up another, my spring at the sector was broken, and the AW4 has a rod and spring that connects it to the column. So my junkyard trip was not in vain.

Thanks so much :)

mrpeepers

well, i'm still doing this. I've rebuilt my steering column to satisfaction, however I think they gave me the wrong switch. ACC postion is towards the floorboard on a factory switch and towards steering wheel on the one they sold me. 1 for 2 today. Great learning experience. I also managed to cross thread a piece of the steering wheel puller, gotta find a vice to undo the nut :).

Thanks for all the help, hopefully this will help someone else.

Back