• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery oil or no??

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a sticky lifter that only makes noise when cold at idle. I'm thinking of running some MMO in it and have read a bunch of different opinions. I'm just wondering does anybody think that MMO may clean up the engine too well causing some of the gunk that's holding the motor together or no?? I'm thinking at the very least of running a quart of MMO to run for a week. The motor does have 182K on her as well.

Opinions?

TIA,

Sean

Last edited:
Up untill the last six years, I've always worked in electrical maintenance. I've never trusted "fix it in a can".

I've been running MMO in the crankcase and in the gas tank for the last 40 years, and in every kind of vehicle and have never had a problem. I run a quart in the crankcase every 3rd oil changes. Half a quart in the gas tank every 6 months.
Do what you want, it works good for me.

MG_43 said:
I've been running MMO in the crankcase and in the gas tank for the last 40 years, and in every kind of vehicle and have never had a problem. I run a quart in the crankcase every 3rd oil changes. Half a quart in the gas tank every 6 months.
Do what you want, it works good for me.

How many miles are on your xj, if you don't mind me asking?

Wow!! And no lifter tap? Soo, in other words your saying it's a good idea? LOL.. I changed the oil the other night and there was a noticeable tap. I'm guessing the Lucas may have clogged up that weak lifter making it tap. When the motor is fully warm, it sounds great. Think the MMO will help? Should I run it the whole time or just till the noise clears up?

"No question, just a comment. I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for over 20 years. I was burning trash on Saturday, and burned three of my fingers and ran to the garage and the first thing I could find was the oil. I rubbed it on my burned fingertips, and within minutes, the pain went away and I have only a small blister on one finger. I just wanted to thank you for just another use for your oil and will now keep a container in the house. Thank you.

[We contacted Bonnie to ask her permission to use her comments from a previous email. Below is her response. Thanks again Bonnie!]

01/18/2007

I am still amazed at how it works on burns. I even put it out on a website for the Baytown Sun and got a few negative comments, but I will continue to use it in my lawnmower and car and most of all for burns. Thanks so much for your reply. "

Bonnie

A funny testimonial from the MMO website!!

A few other things to try are Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), preferably Type F. Use one quart to replace one quart or regular oil for 250-500 miles. Its suppose to clean stuff out. I have used it before, but I can't remember how well it worked. Other stuff is Berrymanns Chem B-12, and possibly Risoline. I have used them before, but again I can't say if they worked or not. The motors still ran and no noticable ill effects. There is a product called Auto RX. Its a bit expensive though, $20 a bottle. You would need two bottles. I have some, but haven't used it yet. Its available online only.
Tom

Step dad's 04 Silverado developed a sticking lifter. It would only stick on a cold start up, and last anywhere from 3-5 minutes before it finally got pumped up and working properly.

Added 1 pint of MMO to the last oil change and it hasn't made one peep yet. MMO, to my understanding, also helps to clean out all the junk inside your engine.

So from my experience, I say try it. If it helps, it helps. If not, you're not hurting anything, and the stuff is pretty cheap.

I'm a firm believer in Marvel Mystery oil. I brought a motorcycle back from Germany years back, NEVER could get the 4th cylinder to fire. Tried everything. Got pissed one day, threw Marvel in there, within 5 minutes driving down the road, #4 kicked in and surprised the hell out of me.

I run it in gas and oil. Bike had 54,000+ miles on it, which is high for a motorcyle, compared to car standards. Last time I saw it in NM, was running great, and sounded great. Reminded me of how much I regret selling it.

James

My father was told that his engine was going on his '97 Chevrolet 150. Forgot the exact problems but all I know is the Mystery Oil has kept the problems away since

I used restore twice, didn't really notice anything, if at all, just a very small bit. I guess that means everything in my engine is quite well for 181,000 :)

I'll pop in Lucus sometime to see if I notice anything with that as well.

This morning it sounded like a lil jack hammer the way it was tapping. Turned it off, restarted it and it went away. I put a quart of MMO in today. It does sound a lil quiter. Little too soon to tell right now, though. Just don't know how long I should run it w/the Lucas and MMO in it right now....?

Back