• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern check - Please?

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
This is on a HP Dana 60, if it matters.

1st try. Backlash is set at .007. Pinion depth looked good on the coast side, but the drives side looked deep to me.

Coast
IMG_7685.jpg

Drive
IMG_7683.jpg

2nd try. Backlash is set at .006. I removed .020 from the shim pack behind the front pinion bearing race. It's not the oval pattern they want us to shoot for, but it still looks good to me.

Coast
IMG_7689.jpg

Drive
IMG_7691.jpg

looks a little deep to me to but after stairing at the pic it may be a opty.

I brushed the marking compound on a little heavy which is whats causing the line at the flank of the tooth. Maybe that's why it looks a little deep.

You need to apply more pressure on the gears while pulling the pattern.

With the pinion that deep, wouldn't it cause excess wear and possible heat on the tips of the pinion gear?
Yes, running the pinion too deep heats up the gears causing excessive wear, changes in the heat treatment of the gears and possibly premature failure. Make sure you put a super strong magnet on the inside of the diff cover when you put it back together to catch wear material. Also make sure you follow the manufacturer's break in instructions.

Back