• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New axle to old driveshaft

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in a new d30 and reading write ups it says to mark the pinion yoke to assemble in the same orientation.. I'm putting in an entirely different d30 what measures do I take?

None. A little blue loc-tite on the bolts if used.New bolts should have a smear already on them.

I'm not actually sure why they have people mark the driveshaft and yokes before removal. The driveshaft is balanced separately from the yokes... I'm not even sure if the yokes are balanced at all. I've never bothered marking the driveshaft and yokes and it's never been an issue.

Now - if you were going to separate the sliding splined yoke from the end of the front driveshaft to replace the seal or something, you definitely would want to mark the two sides so you could assemble them properly again because those ARE balanced as a set, AFAIK.

I'm not actually sure why they have people mark the driveshaft and yokes before removal. The driveshaft is balanced separately from the yokes... I'm not even sure if the yokes are balanced at all. I've never bothered marking the driveshaft and yokes and it's never been an issue.

Now - if you were going to separate the sliding splined yoke from the end of the front driveshaft to replace the seal or something, you definitely would want to mark the two sides so you could assemble them properly again because those ARE balanced as a set, AFAIK.

Partially correct, the marking of the spline is about timing/phasing of the u-joints. Balance is a separate issue.

Ok so I'm fairly certain I didnt crossthread it but 1 of the 4 screws didnt want to go all the way in ..i just drove it 250 miles I did not mention to my girlfriend that a bolt thst makes the wheels spin was loose :eek: also I go to plug the vent hose is on the opposite side of the axle? My old axle had the bent tube coming down the driver side uca this ones on the opposite side?

Take an old bolt, cut a notch in it, run it through the threads, and then reinstall a new bolt. This pretty common with corrosion and dirt getting into the threads during disassembly.

For the vent just extend the axle side rubber section, doesn't really matter which side it's on as that changed due to vehicle and year but the axle base remained relatively unchanged.

It's a 1/4-28 UNF thread in those yokes. Just buy the tap, it's cheap and you can use it forever if just chasing threads mostly. The bolts, you can buy new - in fact if you go on most drivetrain supply sites (northern drivetrain is my normal goto, but you can buy wherever you want) and order a dana spicer 2-70-18x kit for like 5 bucks, it has the 4 bolts with preapplied loctite and the two ujoint cap straps. You're supposed to replace them every time they are removed but I usually reuse 2-3 times if they're in good shape.

Back