• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre 91 AW4: Where is the Breather?

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 Aw4 in my 87 xj which the PO swapped in. I can't seem to find the breather cap to save my life. The Tcase is dropped quite a bit so I can get up in there pretty good but after looking at pictures and checking multiple times I beleive my tranny doesn't have the breather which exits on top of the case right behind the bell housing on the passenger side. I've heard of breathers exiting inside the bellhousing on gm trannys and such and I just hope mine dosn't. Does anybody have any idea or experiance with this?
Also the reason why I want to find it is to extend it which I have done to ever single other one beside my tranny. Even the distributor which I sealed up and ran a line off. Thanks

every renix era aw4 ive messed with, has the breather exit right where you mention. maybe your's was removed/replaced and the mechanic put it somewhere weird?

Thats odd. I'll be swapping the tcase soon so I'll probobly drop the trans while I'm at it to get a better look at things.

Also I noticed it feels like my tranny has extra webbing where the flat area would be for the breather

Heres a pic i took of the 1990 AW4 out in my garage. Its there, mabye covered in gunk and hidden from view.

venting%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Alright I checked again and what I found was a small hole that runs parallel to the case in that upper ridge right infront of the breather cap.
wallyman does the breather cap fitting have an elbow on it where it goes into a hole infront of it or does it go straight down?

Back