• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift is needed to run 33" tires?

caseyjo7301

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee xj. It's my first car and is just going to be my daily driver. I was wondering how much lift would be needed to run 33" tires without having to significantly trim the fenders.

Also, is an SYE necessary for a 3-3.5" lift?

Any other information regarding the lift or recommended parts (such as an adjustable track bar) would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

depends on how much fender trimming you wanna do as well. I'm running 33's and cut about 2" off my front fenders. folded rear to the pinch seam.

No lift with trimming

34p02lk.jpg

The answer to your question is much more nuanced than you probably expected. You could lift 8 inches but if you don't adjust bumpstop height you might still crease your fenders at full flex. You also need to factor just how much trimming you're willing to do, the backspace of your wheels, what shocks you're going to use, and tire width of those 33's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

31's will typically stuff without trimming, if your set on keep the fenders stock

Congrats on choosing an XJ as your first car, they are fun and you'll love it. You can fit 31-32s with a 3 inch lift and no cutting, maybe do the pinch weld mod on the front. You could do a 3 inch lift yourself and save some dough.

you will of course want to regear. You will regret it if you dont. 4.1 gear is barely enough for 33 inch tires, you really need a higher ratio, else you will be at 4000 rpm in 2nd gear in the slow lane on the highway on uphills. Id go 4.5 ratio minimum. my jeep was set up with 4.1 gears on 33 inch tires by prior owner, my old VW under powered Bus is about as swift up the grades as my jeep with 4.1 gears and 33 tires. You are now forwarned!

Gear wise, frisco Texas is a lot different than frisco Cali lol
This. Need to drive a couple hundred miles for hills

If towing or taking the rig to Colorado, regear

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back