• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's going to break first?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so finally getting a chance to take my rig out and run here for the first time, but since she is my daily driver I want to make sure I have the right spare parts to fix her if something does break. So with that in mind and with your all's experience, here's the setup I have:

1997 XJ Sport
4.0 automatic
6" lift, adj uca's & lca's
RE drop brackets with braces
Bilstein 5100's
bar pin elimators with front shock convertors
longer brake lines
sway bar discos
8.25 rear with 4.56's and locked
d30 front with 4.56's and locked
rusty's tie-rod conversion steering setup
drop pitman arm
adj trackbar
RE Hack n Tap
Double CV Woods shaft
rock rails and lower body protection and tailights
major cut fender panels
custom front bumper and rear bumper with tire carrier
33" TrXus MT's

That's about all I can think of that may be helpful to you all. Again, I'm looking to stock up on parts that would be the first to break or go bad on the trail so I'm not without a vehicle.

Thanks,

Chris

the part that will break is the one that you dont have a spare for...

My thoughts are - buy parts when you need them.

you would have to carry a parts rig on a trailer to completly be prepared.

I carry spare front axle shafts - have i ever broken one? nope

Did i have a spare heater control valve when mine split? nope

some people go crazy with the spare parts - steering box, wheel bearings, and spare FF Tera 60 Axle shafts.

Personaly - i carry a complete set of tools (every tool i own) and the spare parts that i run through often.

and i always wheel with someone who can take me to the nearest parts store if need be.

If I had to pick one, I'd say a Dana 30 shaft.

I think it mostly has to do with the kind of wheelin you do, though.

Rocks tend to eat Dana 30 axle shafts.

Rick

Dana 30 shafts or any u-joint which will cause a shaft to break. So, then you need both. Don't ask how I know. :)

Ohh, and anything that you wouldn't expect.

IMHO......I would have to guess either a front u-joint at full lock and on the throttle or your t/c main shaft. That is the one true weak link of the 231 and the 242 Hack and Tap system, and I have the T/W version on my 242, the area of the main shaft where the speedo gear runs, seen quite a few shafts break there.

Just as a heads up, there was on year that the 231 case came in the Grand cherokees I believe 2002, and it had a HD main shaft stock. 32 spline slip yoke and no neck down for the speedo gear, actually larger dia. I didn't believe either until we took apart the care and checked the tag on teh outside. It was one of those "huh" that myself and my jeep mechanic said to each other.

Anything from Rusty's! :rof: :rof:

thats actually a fairly reliable setup if you can keep from getting gas happy. get some spare shafts and a spare hub, despite what opie says, and just wheel it sensibly. its worked so far for me and the only carnage i have had could have been avoided with some welded caps, except for a trashed hub. oh and beef up your lca axle mounts or this will happen

armbreak0ow.jpg

Back