• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold Question - APN Header

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just purchased a replacement manifold. After reading these forums, I found a lot of people had good things to say about the APN header from ineedparts.com.

Mine arrived in the mail today, and I'm concerned about the quality of this item. But, I'm not an experienced mechanic, so I hope you guys can tell me if this looks bad, or if it's acceptable.

Here are the issues I see...

Picture #1: Shouldn't the weld go all the way around the pipes? (inside the pipe is welded all the way around)

Picture #2: The sloppy weld inside the tube seems to be sticking pretty far out into the passage. seems like this would cause a restriction.

Picture#3: This part of the flange is where the bolts attach. One of the flanges is scratched deeply.

Picture#4: The thickness of the flange is much greater than the intake manifold. It doesn't look like they'll fit together under the same washer.

Thanks.

TFmtNcx

1F2q8U5.jpg

jvAisIM.jpg

NVBFx53.jpg

The APN is not usually welded all around the exterior.

I have installed 2 APN and neither looked that bad. Both were a dull silver color all over, including the flanges on the gasket side. I would take pictures and contact the seller for an exchange, the one you have is nasty looking. The weld should not be dropped thru so far into the tube, and the damage to the flange should not be there. It almost looks like somebody put a really cheap crappy manifold in the APN box and then returned it.

See an APN install here >> https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93378

standard.jpg

Last edited:
It's a APN, you get what you paid for!

I had mine for just over a year and it cracked. when I took it off and looked at it, almost every major weld had cracked on the header

Same here. Cracked in a year and that was with new motor mounts. I received one once that already had a crack. I filled with water and plugged the connector end and it was leaking all over. Was not happy. I just get the cheapo Autozone lifetime warranty one now and can change it out in about 1.5 hours now.

I have a $70 Ebay manifold. and it's been solid so far. 10yr warranty

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Did you get the one with the bellows or the APN style header? About to drop an order for replacement parts on my 95 which is cracked at the collector. Thinking of adding a small section of flex pipe at the cross over in front of the trans pan to possibly take some future strain off the system.

Most exhaust manifolds will not survive long if the motor mounts are weak or failed. Flexible bellows either near the head or at the collector end are always a good idea for allowing a bit of flex in the system.

All new mounts. Even though they are stock format mounts, they are new haha.

Back