• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift ride

Let's face it -- an '86 has either a 4-cyl or a 2.8L V-6. Neither engine is a powerhouse, so they have a tough time pushing big tires. The only valid reasons for a lift are (1) ground clearance, and (2) to clear big tires. You don't need either if it's just a daily driver, so unless you have other, unstated reasons for wanting a lift ... I'd say leave it stock, buy a decent set of shock absorbers, and you'll have a nice ride.

If you're really stuck on wanting a lift and you want the best ride -- OME.

Eagle said:
Let's face it -- an '86 has either a 4-cyl or a 2.8L V-6. Neither engine is a powerhouse, so they have a tough time pushing big tires. The only valid reasons for a lift are (1) ground clearance, and (2) to clear big tires. You don't need either if it's just a daily driver, so unless you have other, unstated reasons for wanting a lift ... I'd say leave it stock, buy a decent set of shock absorbers, and you'll have a nice ride.

If you're really stuck on wanting a lift and you want the best ride -- OME.

If I remember this is the guy with the 4.3 & 700r4 in his so power isn't an issue for him, I second your OME recomendation. If his is still on the stock springs like mine still is (gotta find time to get the OME stuff installed) then he is sitting I bet at about 2" negative lift :eek: especially with the added weight of the swapped in stuff.
Mike B.

yes its 4.3 / 700r with 4.10 gear with 235/15. the original owner put heavier springs in front when he put the 4.3 in for the weight & now with the sag in the factory rear springs it sets 1 3/4 lower in the rear than the front. tony

I 2nd Rustys, I have the 8.5 long kit and its the softest lift I ever had (its nice not to be launched in to the other lanes) plus you cant beat the price..

I know a guy who put on new flares and then shod his jeep with 31's and adjusted his bumpstops to prevent them from stuffing into his flares. He did this with no lift on his daily driver. If you won't be taking it offroad, then you could just replace the worn rear springs and you're good to go.

Beej.

buy the lift with the smoothest street ride? LOL buy a honda and crew cab that cherokee

Back