• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for adjust of crank position sensor

jovian

NAXJA Forum User
1989 4.0l / AW4
Anyone got any tips/shortcuts for adjusting a new CPS for the proper depth? That darn CPS is impossible to get to! How does one keep from installing it with too much depth, so it does not hit the flex plate?

On the later models, it just has 2 screws. No depth correction is possible unless you machine the CPS. Chance of hitting the flex plate is nonexistent .

Make sure it has the OEM style shoulder bolts (they barely fit into the OEM size mounting hole in the sensor), then drill out the mounting holes in the CPS one drill size larger than the stock hole, leaving enough metal to hold and mount the sensor. That is all you need to double the output voltage and still leaves a good 1/8th inch gap or more to the flex plate.

The CPS is not "adjustable"--sort of.

When installing a new or used CPS it is best to "press down" on it to reduce the air gap. Many on here have experimented with enlarging the mounting holes--allowing you to push down and close the air gap further--and have been successful.

The CPS is not "adjustable"--sort of.

When installing a new or used CPS it is best to "press down" on it to reduce the air gap. Many on here have experimented with enlarging the mounting holes--allowing you to push down and close the air gap further--and have been successful.

On Renix, if it has the OEM shoulder bolts, there is no "Pressing down" movement possible. If the bolts are hardware store all threads, and not OEM shoulder bolts, there is some room or slop to press the CPS lower.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole to 3/8" from the stock 5/16", or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 01-26-2013

So Does mine, I Use The Photobucket App.

Screenshot_2013-05-02-10-13-37_zpsa50c94ad.png

Screenshot_2013-05-02-10-15-36_zpsc989e443.png

Just Copy The Img Code, And Paste Here.
Works On The App Or On The website

OP, Sorry For The derail

No adjustment possible on factory parts, none needed either. And on 91 and later it's a Hall effect sender and you won't get any improvement... sensor's either dead or it isn't. RENIX uses VRM type CPS and you may get a bit of improvement, though Ecomike experimented with putting a small capacitor (0.047 microfarads if I recall correctly) in parallel with the two wires from the RENIX CPS and saw a significant improvement in signal output at cranking/idle speed, resulting in a faster start.

early RENIX models came with the right hole slotted for adjustment. A later TSB and updated part eliminated the slot.

Going from the factory size bolt hole, 5/16" to a 3/8" hole on the Renix CPS (All my new ones have been aftermarket) and pushing the CPS closer to the flex plate (1/16" closer) while tightening the bolts, got me a 100% increase in cranking voltage, from about .25 to .50 on my 87 and 89 Renix rigs.

The one I tried the capacitor on had a cold connection inside the CPS between the coil wire and the sensor output connection wires. Took me 8 weeks to figure that out. It finally tested wide open one day with an ohm meter, 0.00 V, when it would not start, then later it worked again right after the ohm meter test, LOL.

The .047 mF Capacitor helped boost the CPS starting voltage but caused an engine miss at about 2500 to 3000 rpm IIRC. Or it may have been a higher capacitance one that did that, I forget. I think the Capacitor helped jump the cold wire to wire joint inside the sensor where the connection was defective. My last batch of good Renix sensors came from Rock Auto, Standard brand and Made in ITALY, NOT CHINA!!!!

But I still had to drill the holes out to 3/8" and move them in a tiny bit closer, 1/16" closer to the flex plate to get .50 V during cranking even with new batteries, and great grounds, new battery connectors.....Etc.

I posted pictures of the angel fine hair wire in the coil and the about 20 ga wire in the output wires and the cold joint (no solder, nothing) in the old thread.

picture.php

picture.php

No adjustment possible on factory parts, none needed either. And on 91 and later it's a Hall effect sender and you won't get any improvement... sensor's either dead or it isn't. RENIX uses VRM type CPS and you may get a bit of improvement, though Ecomike experimented with putting a small capacitor (0.047 microfarads if I recall correctly) in parallel with the two wires from the RENIX CPS and saw a significant improvement in signal output at cranking/idle speed, resulting in a faster start.

Back