• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I got a good deal...

Pen_Two

NAXJA Forum User
I was overly bored on Thuesday, and since it was my day off from work...I decided to waste it in the junkyard. I really only needed a new tail light...but wound up picking up a bunch of others things that caught my eye.

I think I made out pretty good for only paying $65 on a tail light, full length roof rack, license plate light, hitch, harness, and gas tank skid plate.

1257301189.jpg

And since it's been a while...I finally decided to do something to prevent my car from getting scratches in the paint.

(I apologize for the quality...but it's all my phone can muster up)
Hello gratuitous amounts of Herculiner! If anyone is wondering, the sticker says "THIS SIDE UP" with the appropriate arrow direction.

1256516199.jpg

Yeah I cant find nothing in the yards. I really need a hitch. You got a great deal. And omfg with the herculiner. Post a pic in the daylight ASAP.

This is the best I've got for a daylight pic right now. It was before I put everything back together.

It isn't pretty, and looks more like my XJ had caught on fire...but it wouldn't be interesting if it didn't look like that.

1256437852.jpg

LOL. The only strange place I had any of it was a 1" round black spot on each knee. Don't know how it got there when there were no marks on the work pants I was wearing.

Total cost was under $100. I bought a gallon of it when it was on sale. I think it was $72 after tax. Plus the paint tray I had to get and the Xylene to wipe it down after I scratched it with the pad it comes with. So yeah, under $100. It took me probably 2-3 hours, counting the time to mask off the windows, take the mirrors off, take the door handles off, and the whole process to paint it. I probably have enough left over to do a few more hoods.

I think when spring rolls around I'm going to put another coat on and see if that UV coat they sell for it is any good.

The best part of it all is the people that come up to me at the gas stations and ask about it.

Edit:
Since I've become quite experienced with the roll on bed liners, avoid the Dupli-Color kit. That crap chips and peels like crazy.

I'm curious as too how its going to hold up to the UV rays? :eyes: Thats the only concern I would have, but other than that it looks nice and ready to beat!! Atleast you won't have to worry about scratches anymore :thumbup:

A friend and I herculined his Subaru last summer. The best part about it is that at night, it's invisible. Somehow that textured surface diffused light so well that I was able to shine my car's high beams at his car, and not see any sort of reflection from my lights. I only knew his car was there because his lights were on.

What year? It looks like a 97 or newer. I've got a 99 and the paint is starting to look prety scapy. This look may be in my future :cheers:
It's a 2001.

looks sweet glenn...when are you gonna lift it?

In a few months. I'm thinking of properly lifting it about 8".

I'm curious as too how its going to hold up to the UV rays? :eyes: Thats the only concern I would have, but other than that it looks nice and ready to beat!! Atleast you won't have to worry about scratches anymore :thumbup:

Well, like I mentioned earlier on, I'm going to put another coat on in the Spring followed by a coat of the UV protectant.

Herculiner makes a UV spray to go over top.

Well, the hitch and skid are on. I'm now missing that plastic strip that runs the full length of the bumper. Getting annoyed and just ripping it out sure made those 8 bumper bracket bolts a lot easier. :roflmao: I'm not too thrilled with the brackets you need to put in the rail either.

For the sake of asking...I also have the stock harness for the hitch pulled up into the interior. I'm assuming since mine didn't have a factory/dealer installed hitch, the harness won't be plug n' play, right? The harness has 3 plugs, but only the one with the blue wire has a place to go. Or am I just missing something?

if you go to auto zone or a similar place they sell a harness

you remove the drivers side plastic panel in the trunk area and youll see the taillight harness in there it goes in a connector in there

Yeah, if it's the Hoppy harness, get it. I have one, works great - you unplug one connector in the driver side rear quarterpanel (pull the trim like Jon said) then plug the adapter in between the two connectors.

Back