• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D and C Cage Install Questions

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I picked up the cage locally from a guy who never got around to installing it, and spent some time reading everything I can find. I understand the “starter cage” concept, and the need to build onto it. It’s going into my daily driver, and I want to keep the backseat and interior functional. I’ve got a friend willing to help out that has a bender, welder and plasma cutter; I just need to get a plan together.

1) No feet were shipped with this cage and it’s made to be “installed over carpet” – so, I I need to design some feet that would raise it about an inch.

2) Planning to triangulate the B-Hoop with an “X”, tie it into the upper shoulder belt bolts, and add spreader bars tying it into the windshield bar.

3) There seem to be plenty of complaints about the bar over the windshield. I gotta agree that if it is put far enough back into the cab to keep the visors operational, you’ll likely whack your head. . . Seems to me that it should be moved closer to the windshield, and some sort of visor should be attached to the bar itself.

4) Seems like it should be triangulated front to rear on each side at the top of the B-Hoop to the bottom of the C-Pillar, and if possible tie it into the rear shoulder belt bolts.

I’d like some specific input on gussets, triangulation and these other minor issues.

I installed one I picked up from a guy that sold his xj before he installed it . I have not had a chance to triangulate or add spreaders yet, but I did install the w/s bar back just enough so that the visors rest on it . It seems like the w/s bar won't be an issue for me as far as hitting my head on it . The only place I've hit my head so far is on the left above the door and that can be fixed with some padding .

I installed one I picked up from a guy that sold his xj before he installed it . I have not had a chance to triangulate or add spreaders yet, but I did install the w/s bar back just enough so that the visors rest on it . It seems like the w/s bar won't be an issue for me as far as hitting my head on it . The only place I've hit my head so far is on the left above the door and that can be fixed with some padding .

OK, good to know with the windshield bar. I'm still trying to figure out a plan for reinforcing it. Definately NOT installing over the carpet so I want to complete the install all at once. I like the Gen-Right style of gusseting on the TJ cage's. I figure I'll put an extra 20 ft of tube into it but want to put it in where it'll do the most good.

Back