• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drill n Bits

pipes94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Every man needs a drill. It is time I finally get one. I'm gonna go with a Craftsman thats on clearance at Sears but was wondering if I should go with 14.4 or 18 volt?

And Drill bits: I need bits more for metal than wood. Strong enough for a hack n tap if I do one and for drill out my door hinge pins (got one stuck making my doors removable.) =(

Thanks for the help in advance!

Andrew

those rechargable drills arent very good for drilling very thick or hard metal. you will be going through more batteries than a crackhead in radioshack. get a corded drill with an attachable 90 deg handle to keep from breaking your wrist on those bigger holes. the cordless jobs are good for smaller holes, thinner metals, screws, etc. A corded drill would be better suited for the hack and tap.

olivedrabcj7 said:
those rechargable drills arent very good for drilling very thick or hard metal. you will be going through more batteries than a crackhead in radioshack. get a corded drill with an attachable 90 deg handle to keep from breaking your wrist on those bigger holes. the cordless jobs are good for smaller holes, thinner metals, screws, etc. A corded drill would be better suited for the hack and tap.
Agreed. I was dumb enough to try drilling the holes in my frame rail for rock rails with a 14.4V cordless. Got one side done, then I just went and got the cheap $20 VSR corded one.
Buy yourself a nice one, the 18V's are awesome. But then buy a $20 cheap corded one so you don't kill the batteries by discharging them too hot and fast with prolonged metal drilling.
NiCD's don't like being run hot for a long period of time, they'll take it a lot better than NiMH or LiON, but a corded drill still has a very good place in the garage.

Thank you guys for the invaluable info!

I'll be on here all night checking this thread...next thing I'll know it'll be 9am and time to go buying!! =)

X2 for the drill doc... best investment I've made in reguards to drills and bits..

X3 on the corded drill. Got a nice porter in the garage and it ALWAYS works. Actually just let my bro borrow it cause his cordless was out of juice! But he needed it to install his new air compressor in the garage.....bastard.

x4 on the corded drill. Love my Makitas! Havent destroyed one yet even when using as a hammer drill! 5 speed clutch, variable speed and reversible. I have a Makita cordless to and its does have its place.

Spend the extra and get good drill bits unless you want throw aways. Learn to not force the drill, let it do the work. For thicker metal you'll need some cutting oil so you dont burn up your good drill bits.

Milwakee is a great brand as well. Pick out the drill you want then spend the extra 20.00 (or ?) for the next step up. You'll be glad you did.

get the 18v, i've got a corder craftsman and it hasnt let me down.

I might add that I recently got a set of uni-bits. Those things are awesome! Seriously look into them if you're gong to be drilling of big holes in sheetmetal or anything about 1/4" thick. Not needing to do pilot holes in sheetmetal is so great.

do those things work well? i need to drill an almost 1" hole so i can bolt on some tow hooks.

Ramsey said:
do those things work well? i need to drill an almost 1" hole so i can bolt on some tow hooks.

Uni bits are awesome. Drill slow with them and they will last a very long time. I've had people tell me if you run the uni bit counter clockwise, you'll ruin them. I can't vouch for that though because, I've never tried to see if they will drill backwards.??

As far as a cordless drill. I love my Makita 14.4 V It ahas a super slow drill speed that won't allow you to burn up bits.(if you have any common sense at all) I drilled 12 or so holes on the framerail of the pile when I installed my longarms. I think they were 13/16" wide and, I only used one battery.

I used my craftsman 19.2v cordless to drill all the holes for my rock rails and it worked excellent. Only got a little warm but nothing really hot. Didn't even drain one battery.
As already suggested, I would get a decent corded drill for the heavy duty jobs with alot of drilling. My .02.

Kim.

I have a corded Dewalt 1/2" keyless chuck VSR for big stuff, a much more ergonomically comfortable corded Milwaukee "close quarters" drill (angled head) 3/8" chuck VSR, and a cheap chinese 18v cordless that I use for light duty chores inside the house.

Ramsey said:
Yeah I bougt these just to drill the holes for my rings on the bumper.
I had to go from each side because the metal was too thick, but they cut like butter.
I go slow with mine just so I don't heat them. I accidently had the drill in the wrong direction once, didn't seem to hurt the bit, but they don't work backwards, only one side has a cutting edge I think.

Back