• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yoke (u-joint) Strap Screw Broke HELP..

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing my u-joint strap this morning on my rear axle and then the damn strap screw broke inside the yoke. I was expecting this to take a few min but i guess not. Anyway i tried drilling the screw out but i am unsure if i made the problem worse.

THe rear axle is a 8.25 .

what can i do. pls help

pete

You have no choice -- you drill it out (carefully) or you replace the entire yoke.

I haven't looked closely at the yoke on an 8.25 axle, but on the Dana 35 axles there is enough flat area on the back side of the yoke that it's possible to drill all the way through and replace the straps with u-bolts. The one that fits for a D35 is listed in the HELP! section at pep Boys for some Ford application, IIRC, but it should be easy enough to take the old strap in and just match up the hole spacing.

just remember, those strap bolts aren't supposed to be cranked down. Not sure of the torque for them, but it's not that much. Just snug them up and then maybe another 1/4 to half a turn more. _nicko_

you could try EZ outs, but I would recommend drilling out all the bolt holes and replacing the weak strap style with the u bolt style. Which is available at pepboys in the "diy" or "help" section.(as mentioned above)

The C8.25 has a large flat spot on the rear that will serve as a great seat for a nut once you drill out the threads and use yokes.

hey yucca man, do u reccommend any specific ones or should i just goto napa and get what i can. Have you done it b4on an 8.25 ? and pics ?

There is no damn info on the net about 8.25 axles only d35 ones.

thanks a lot
pete

old_man drilled one out for me, but I never installed it. I think Nay had it last I heard.

Ok guys ...I purchased the u-joint u bolts from a local auto place and a few 5/16 drill bits.

Today i drilled out a pair of the holes (1 strap) and i cant see how this could even work with the space on the back of the yoke.

Maybe those who have done it or seen it can give some suggestions but the nut has no clearence to spin at all even at the end of the u-bolt screw.

???

Pls give some help or suggestions

pete

jeepsrock said:
Ok guys ...I purchased the u-joint u bolts from a local auto place and a few 5/16 drill bits.

Today i drilled out a pair of the holes (1 strap) and i cant see how this could even work with the space on the back of the yoke.

Maybe those who have done it or seen it can give some suggestions but the nut has no clearence to spin at all even at the end of the u-bolt screw.

???

pete

Only one thing to do now, replace the yoke.

jeepsrock said:

???

pete

huh, I don't think I had to drill out to 5/16, it was 1/4 if I remember correctly. My u-bolts are probably a bit smaller than yours, because I didn't have a problem with the nuts tightening down. Don't throw that yoke out yet try the auto parts store again and look for a slightly smaller u bolt. Sorry I don't have any part #'s.

HELP! (or Motormite) 81004 is the correct spacing. They are 5/16" diameter. I haven't looked at an 8.25 yoke, but on the D35 axle I have outside there appears to be plenty of clearance for the nut to spin, although you'd probably need to use an open end wrench rather than a box end or a socket.

Well if you crossrefrence the number ( u can use the napa part # lookup) , the motormite 81004 is exactly the same as 53410 in other brands. The one i picked up is the gmb 53410.

Unless the motormite one is slightly diff in the back.

The distance between the holes are ok. The problem is the back area is sloping in such a way the the nut cant be spun at all. I am affraid that if i was to grind it it might be to thin.

pete

I'd grind it flat. I doubt very much taking a 64th of an inch off half the diameter of each hole is going to weaken the yoke.

Try going to the junk yard and looking under the '70's-80's Dodge trucks in the 1/2 ton flavor. Both my '74 and my 79 have the 8.25's and both have U-BOLT style yokes from the factory. Also, and I will check this in the morning, but I think the dana 30 and the 35 yokes cross. Anyone know for sure about this?

Well i worked on it today and i think i got it back up again.

I tried grinders which were to big , small grinder wheels on the dremel whihc barely dented it and then eventually my dad suggested i use a cut off wheel on the dremel. THe cutoff wheels worked perfectly as i was able to grind in specific areas.

Anyway i got the u-bolts on the yoke and i will try her out tom and get some pics for those who need it.

pete

Sorry for the delay with the pics , but anyways here are a few. I have run this system for a month and all seems well. Actually it seems a bit more sturdy compared to the straps.

I used dremel discs to shave off the back. I am glad you brought this up as i need to take a look at them tom to check on them.

DSCF01999.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

let me know if you have any other Qs.

pete

Back