• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix era aw4 valve body

uglyrenixxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having issues ONLY WHEN COLD, with reverse, and the short from 1-2. The reverse isn't really reliable, but now that I've adjusted the TV, it's about 90% better.
The shift from 1-2 when cold is predictable, and if I let off the go pedal at about 2200rpms, it will immediately shift.

Anyone know if the later valve body will work on my renix era junk?
Only replacement VB I can find is over 100 bones and it's from cobra transmission of florida.

Why do you think you need to change the valve body? Misbehavior when cold can be caused by low fluid or worn clutches. AW4 transmissions rarely have mechanical issues, electrical is most likely. Have you checked, cleaned and adjusted the TPS? Also clean the grounds and other sensors as well as the transmissions electrical connectors. Are your servos good? Check out Cruiser54'S Renix Tips here http://cruiser54.com

One final thing in 40 years or so of tinkering with, building, racing and abusing automobiles of one type or another I have never seen a bad valve body in a transmission, dirty and clogged from clutch material or physical damage from dropping or improper handling or removal yes, one just go bad, NO.

The VB is the last step in trying to save me from swapping the whole thing out.
I've put solenoids in it, adjusted the tps with the mt2500, and made sure that the tcm is commanding the solenoids at the right time (via mt2500). Fluid level and type are correct, and although the issues aren't getting any worse, reverse is kinda important. VB listed on cobra mentions "1985 and up", but not all aw4s used the 2 u shaped tubes. That makes me think the VBs may be different.
Also, i dont think reverse uses any solenoids, and the reverse boost valve in the VB could be leaking, sticking?

Last edited:
There is a copy of the factory manual on the AW4 out on the web in pdf format. Includes troubleshooting info. If you can't find it, pm me and I will see what I can do.

IIRC, reverse needs the highest pump pressure and if the pump is not reaching full pressure, reverse is the first to go. You're not running synthetic fluid are you?

Sorry about your problems but the valve body is just a collection of passageways and a couple of valves, not much that can fail. Unlikely it's leaking unless someone has separated it and not reassembled it properly. The wrong transmission fluid can cause havoc and even failure of the transmission, synthetic fluid will clean deposits and possibly cause blockages in the valve body or transmission. I looked back at your other posts and you have chasing the transmission problems for a couple of years. I would suggest a good shop do a teardown inspection or replace the transmission with a know good used one. Again AW4s rarely have mechanical failures in the Jeep application unless abused in one way or another.

Back