• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX FUSE BLOCK BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to remove the two connectors on the engine side of the firewall that plug into the fuse block?

Anyone have a pin-out for those connectors?

Any tips on how to remove the ignition switch down on the column?

My DD MJ has died and I'm pretty sure that those connectors or the ignition switch are where the poblem lies.

1: The 40 pin bulkhead connector behind the fuse box has a 1/4" bolt in the center. Remove it from the engine side and you can pull the connector apart. That is all you have to do. I just cleaned that out in my 89, I used tow cans of brake cleaner followed up by two cans of contact cleaner.

2: I do not have the pinout handy.

3: The ignition switch is held to the column with small bolts, I believe they are 8mm heads, maybe 10. Remove the two bolts and it lifts right off. Be aware it is a pain in the ass, you may find it easier to remove the two big nuts that hold the column in place and drop it down a few inches.

4: If you have a 1987 - early 1989 you will have the C101 connector. That is a two-piece connector mounted to the sloped area of the firewall above the master cylinder. That is a known weak part. You can take it apart (same way as the bulkhead, actually) and clean it but it will fail again. The best thing to do is cut and solder or replace the entire loom from a late 1989 - 1990. All ECU wiring passes through this connector.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

My MJ is an 88 and the C101 connector is long gone.......did it about 7 years ago.

Once I get the 6.5mm center bolt out from between the connectors, they just pull apart from the engine side, is that right? I thought maybe that was the case and the tar is all that is holding them together.......

Back