• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought overhead computer console for my 00 XJ. Any tips?

JTS97Z28

NAXJA Forum User
Just won an auction for a nice overhead computer console pulled from a 2000 XJ with complete harness. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for me when I do the install. The console will be going in my 2000 so there should be no problems with wiring and harnesses. I did a search and found some info but anything else is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JT

I installed one into my 2000 XJ and it was pretty easy. The only thing is making sure you cut the roof liner right so that it fits. Also make sure you have the right mounting bracket. The dome light one that come on sports w/o OHC will not work. My friend installed one too and I did a write up with all the measurments and pics and what to do for him. If you would like a copie I can send it to you.
Alex

Picture003.jpg

Last edited:
Please do send it that would be great. My e-mail is [email protected]

Also, where and how much for the bracket? assuming its dealership only item. And can you think of anything else I will need to complete the job (besides the temp sensor)?

Thanks

P.S. where you located in IL im in the Chicago NW burbs (and it sure aint 73 out now like your OHC says :)

I will send the write up to you and let me know if you need any help. The mounting brack is OEM part number 55352518AB and it should not cost much. I live out in the western suburbs of Chicago in St. Charles. The pic was taken when I installed the console back in June.
Alex

any updates or info on this? i just bought one from a 97 xj for my 2001 but couldn't find stock wiring above my headliner. there is one plug that fits, but seems like the important one is missing. i guess i'll have to go back to the salvage yard and get the wiring. does anyone know if i get the harness, how far back do i have to get the wiring and where does it end/attach to near the dashboard? does it plug in near the ecu or somewhere in particular? i got mine for $20! and am really looking forward to installing it. thanks guys

I feel as if my hands have now touched the Gold so long sought after by so many, but realized by so few, and now my eyes are finally opened to what I may experience in life now that my deep desires are fulfilled by the presence of this write-up allowing me to surge forward with my overhead console installation. Thank You brother 2000XJSport for showing me the light and giving me inspiration.

my computer is awful and for some reason isn't letting me save that...i guess i'll have to try it from another computer later. sorry to be a newb, but can someone give me a definative yes or no if 01s are prewired for this?

i'm hoping the harness is taped somewhere just waiting and the only thing i need to pick up is the sensor on the front bumper.

The overhead console wiring is not installed in 1997-2001 XJ that did not come factory with the overhead console installed. The only harness up there is for the dome light and keyless entry. The overhead console harness has another plug for the computer. You will have to buy this harness or get one from the donner XJ. Remmenber that the harness for each year has a diffrent connector on the end you plug in behind the glove box. 2000 and 2001 are the same so either year will work for you. The harness runs down the passenger side a pilar to a connector right behind the glove box. All you have to do it swap out the old harness and plug in the new. I have the part number for 2001, but i recommend you chech with the dealer on it to be sure 100%. OEM# 56009757AD. Hope this helps.
Alex

Get the wire harness from the donor at the junkyard and be sure to get both sides of all the plugs in the passenger footwell. Yank out and cut off as much extra wire as you can get. If the donor is a different year you can eliminate the plugs altogether and connect the wires directly or you can swap the donor plug ends into your XJ. You may need to remove a bolt on the dash that connects the dash to the side of the XJ so you have room to move the dash and get the wires out from behind it. Pay attention to how you get the plastic trim off the window pillar so you don't damage yours.
Here are some pics of how the headliner is cut for a factory console.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Here is some more info on the overhead console install. You don't need the wiring harness to install the console. If you have the Dome light with the Keyless entry computer in it which you will have whether you have the option or not. It is real easy to wire up the console. You just have to run 2 wires to the temp. sensor and one wire to 12+. I used 2 trailer harnesses to make it easy. I won mine on ebay and it has been working perfectly for over 6 months now. Here is the website.

www.paceenterprises.us/Console.html

Here is a write up on the install by another Jeeper.

98 o/h console into a 97 sport...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, first of all let me say thanx to Jeepzz for all the helpfull information on this topic. I am not going to repeat all the info that he has given me as it would take me forever and is already available on here (threads called "wiring diagram for overhead console" and "another overhead console thread"), but I do have some findings of my own to put on here in addition to jeepzz in case it may help others.

I recently put a 98 o/h console with a 98 harness into my 97 cherokee sport. For some of you, this can be a challenge depending on what year jeep you have, and if you have keyless entry, and what year your console and harness came out of. This info is for ppl who are taking a 98 unit with keyless entry and putting it into a 97 with keyless entry. Here's how..

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove your kick panel on the passenger side, glove box, and A pillar shrouds. This will probably require unscrewing the plastic finish under the far right air vent on your dash beside the glove box as it is a bit tricky, and unscrewing your O sh*t handles. These have hex nuts.
3. Moving up, remove the sunvisers, and their clips, your dome light, and finally the little plastic dome in the front centre of the headliner. Behind here you will find your keyless entry electronics. Keep this.
4. At this point your headliner will be loose, and you can start removing the wiring harness for all the stuff you just took out, it all just unclips.
5. Once you get down to the door, go down to the junction block and find the connection for the keyless entry. It will be located right at the bottom and is a bigger pigtail. Leave a couple inches, and clip this one off.
6. Next, unplug the wiring for the lights, it is a little 3 wire plug with pink, yellow, and black wires coming out of it and is located at the top right corner of the junction box if you were looking straight at it.
7. Pull the harness out through the side of the dash. Half way there!
8. Next, take the new harness, and identify the keyless entry pigtail. Do this by locating the computer data plug. It will be located behind the glovebox on the lower right hand side and will be empty. Find the pigtail on the 98 harness that fits into this, and clip off the other pigtail of similar size. (keyless entry)
9. feed the two pigtails and the keyless entry wire through the same area you pulled the 97 harness out of.
10. Attach the 97 pigtail for the keyless entry and plug it in. Plug in the lighting pigtail, and then plug in the computer pigtail.
11. Route harness up the A pillar, clipping it in along the way, and run it up into center of the headliner. Be sure to pull the plugs for the visors through the headliner. The driver side is tricky for this, you might need to lossen the a pillar assembly enough to get the headliner to come down enough to feed it through.
12. Now comes the fun part, cutting the headliner. The mounting bracket simply screws into the holes from from your dome light. Cut the headliner so this will fit, but don't over cut. Then cut the hole behind for the console tounge to fit into.
13. Now you need to replace your keyless entry circuitry from your pod into the overhead console, otherwise your keyless won't work. If you have an aftermarket alarm, this might not be needed, your alarm a try to see.
14. Once you have replaced the keyless circuit, go ahead and do a test. First connect your console, then the battery. You should note the lights come on. Now try your keyless to see if it should work, and turn your ignition to the on postion to check the computer dislplay.
15. This is where some people have trouble, as the keyless and lights work, but the computer doesn't. It may NOT be a power supply problem. IF you have a dislplay, re-assemble everything, you are done. If not, read on...

At this point you need to do a power check. First check all your fuses. The fuse you need to check is #17 under the hood, and is a 15A. Then check #17 in the kick panel. If this is good (fix it if it is not), turn the ignition off and disconnect the battery. Check for continuity in the gound curcuit cavities in the o/h console harness. (these are points 1,7,and 12, or the top right and bottom two outer pins left and right). If that is ok, re-connect the battery and check for power in the harness. It is in points 2 and 6, or the top left point, and the 2nd in from the right (top). If you have power here, you do not have a power delivery problem. However, if you want to be a keener, you can also check to see that there is power being delivered to the computer by testing for power in the little harness directly connected to the computer. Power is the second point in from the right. If you have power here, you do not have a power problem.

Next, and this is the part that most don't know about, you need to do a self diagnostic test and reset.

1. with the ignition off, press and hold the step and US/Metric buttons simultaniously.
2. While holding these, turn on the ignition.
3. Continue to hold these down. The computer should come on. Continue holding until and during all of the lights turn on. If they do not come on after after 5 seconds, your computer is bunk. If they do, the computer does a self diagnostic, resets, checks CCD data, and will return to normal operation right after the test.
4. If it fails, the computer will display fail, and the unit is faulty. If it displays CCD, you will need to go to the dealership as they will need to hook it up to a comupter.
5. At this point, if it is working, you can put everything back together.

Well, that is about it, I hope this helps some of you out. It has been suggested that someone combines all of these threads into one, but i just don't have the time. However, if any of you need more tech data, I have a bunch and can probably fax it to you if you need it. Cheers!

I think the other earlier posts answered most of the other questions. The Temp. sensor runs about $20 at the dealer.
Good luck

i went back and picked up the main wiring harness for the console, but when i went to install it they still didn't match the harnesses in my car under the glovebox. should i go back to the junkyard (far away) and get the other ones and splice them in, or should i just cut the harness off the wiring i removed, splice together the wires that are the same color, and then regularly splice the other wires to the left over corresponding wires? i noticed there were about 3 left over on the new wiring harness that aren't in my car. anyone have any knowledge of these? thanks!

i wrote the colors down but don't have them here...i'll edit later or update in this thread, but i believe there was a gray wire, a dark blue, and a blue with white or light gray stripe. i looked in my haynes manual but it stinks and doesn't list those specific ones. just mentions orange and black and the pink and yellow power wires for the overhead lighting. thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back