• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality of tow straps

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is there any thing wrong with say a generic tow strap [without hooks]from an auto parts store? or should i think about getting one like a Xpro comp, Warn, ect.

I have heard of Northern Tool before. I occasionly get a catalog from them but never bought anything. I have heard that most of there stuff is pretty good and will hold up. The stretching ability is what I had in mind when I posted this thread.

When looking for tow straps, the important thing (other than load rating) is to make sure that it has looped ends. Do not buy straps that have metal hooks permanently affixed to to ends. These types of straps tend to be weaker at the ends and the metal hooks make great projectiles if they were to slip off, or the attachment point were to give way. I don't think I've seen tow straps at any standard auto parts store that didn't have attached metal hooks.

I'm not sure what you intend to use the strap for, but keep in mind there is a difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap. The recovery strap has a bit of elasticity to absorb the tug while extracting a stuck vehicle.

The quality recovery straps also have an indicator thread woven into the strap. It is usually a red thread line woven inside the yellow strap, and it appears if the strap is over stressed. You can actually hear a pop and can see the indicator thread if the strap load rating is exceeded before the strap fails. The noise helps you learn to go out and look for the thread, before pulling again (and snapping a strap end through a window or headlight).

Just something else to consider.

DaveD912 said:
I'm not sure what you intend to use the strap for, but keep in mind there is a difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap. The recovery strap has a bit of elasticity to absorb the tug while extracting a stuck vehicle.

I did know that, but it completly slipped my mind when thinking about buying the one at advance auto [without metal hooks on the end]. Is there a time when you would want one or the other, like tow strap for moving a fallen tree off the trail, helping a buddy up a hill that he just seems to not be able to get up, and recovery strap for pulling some one out of the mud or other situation where there is going to be a hard pull like that. Or would a good recovery strap work for all occasions?

so will a good chain. granted i carry a strap as well.

i actually have a 20' 100,000 lb capacity crane strap........ya its worth it

Back