NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:36
Mighty.Mighty_XJ Mighty.Mighty_XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA ... in the dark
Posts: 1,102
Gas Tank Skids

Quick question. Will the OE gas tank skid from a pre- '97 XJ fit a '99?

Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:44
RCP Phx RCP Phx is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 11,803
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Not directly, but they can be made to fit. Why not just buy a 97-01 skid?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:02
Tim_MN's Avatar
Tim_MN Tim_MN is offline
Freakish Hand Strength
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,324
Re: Gas Tank Skids

A ZJ gas tank skid will fit a 97-01. You will need to open up one bolt hole on each side of the ZJ skid very slightly.
__________________
.
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 8th, 2018, 18:35
Mighty.Mighty_XJ Mighty.Mighty_XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA ... in the dark
Posts: 1,102
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Not directly, but they can be made to fit. Why not just buy a 97-01 skid?
Cuz I already have one that came off my '92 and a new skid cost hundred$ that I don't have right now. What mods do you think will be needed to make it fit?

As for a ZJ skid - Is it any thicker than the OE XJ skid? Unless someone's selling one & it's better, I'll stick with what I have until I can afford a decent one. I can't see myself at the bone yard up under a ZJ - or under any vehicle for that matter. Scary.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:11
Tim_MN's Avatar
Tim_MN Tim_MN is offline
Freakish Hand Strength
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,324
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty.Mighty_XJ View Post
What mods do you think will be needed to make it fit?
I have looked at some threads about the swap and IIRC it involves cutting/bending/welding to fit.
__________________
.
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:15
Mighty.Mighty_XJ Mighty.Mighty_XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA ... in the dark
Posts: 1,102
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
I have looked at some threads about the swap and IIRC it involves cutting/bending/welding to fit.
Aw crap ...!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 10th, 2018, 13:11
XJ_NorCal XJ_NorCal is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Patterson, CA
Posts: 85
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty.Mighty_XJ View Post
Cuz I already have one that came off my '92 and a new skid cost hundred$ that I don't have right now. What mods do you think will be needed to make it fit?

As for a ZJ skid - Is it any thicker than the OE XJ skid? Unless someone's selling one & it's better, I'll stick with what I have until I can afford a decent one. I can't see myself at the bone yard up under a ZJ - or under any vehicle for that matter. Scary.
I pulled a ZJ skid from the JY for my '98. I didn't have to get under the ZJ; you have access to all the bolts from the side without having to get beneath it. I needed a stepper bit to widen out an existing hole for installation. It cost me all of $20 total. Very easy and highly recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 10th, 2018, 18:59
Rob Mayercik's Avatar
Rob Mayercik Rob Mayercik is offline
NAXJA Member #920
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ, U.S.A.
Posts: 2,090
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Some junkyards will pull the parts for you for a fee. You could always ask, worst they could say is no.

What about inquiring with a couple local 4x4 shops to see if they have one in the discard pile, and if so what they'd want for it? I know one place by me usually had a pile of stock OEM XJ/TJ control arms pulled from rigs getting aftermarket parts. Dunno about OEM skids, though.

While I understand the peace of mind from having a skid on the tank, how often did you did actually hit the one on your '92? Maybe you can get by without for a little while to give you some extra time to search for a ZJ skid, especially if it's going to be a while yet before this thing sees enough of a trail to need one...
__________________
1992 Cherokee Laredo: "A wonderful balance of grace and rust"
1984 Dodge Omni
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:24
Mighty.Mighty_XJ Mighty.Mighty_XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA ... in the dark
Posts: 1,102
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_NorCal View Post
I pulled a ZJ skid from the JY for my '98. I didn't have to get under the ZJ; you have access to all the bolts from the side without having to get beneath it. I needed a stepper bit to widen out an existing hole for installation. It cost me all of $20 total. Very easy and highly recommended.
Oh good. That sounds encouraging. I'll go searching next week. Is it pretty much the same gauge thickness as the XJ skid?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:52
Mighty.Mighty_XJ Mighty.Mighty_XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA ... in the dark
Posts: 1,102
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
Some junkyards will pull the parts for you for a fee. You could always ask, worst they could say is no.

What about inquiring with a couple local 4x4 shops to see if they have one in the discard pile, and if so what they'd want for it? I know one place by me usually had a pile of stock OEM XJ/TJ control arms pulled from rigs getting aftermarket parts. Dunno about OEM skids, though.

While I understand the peace of mind from having a skid on the tank, how often did you did actually hit the one on your '92? Maybe you can get by without for a little while to give you some extra time to search for a ZJ skid, especially if it's going to be a while yet before this thing sees enough of a trail to need one...
Well Rob, you never really NEED a skid ... until you wish you had installed one. I whacked the old skid a few times pretty hard with the dents to show for it sooo ... My shops don't have skids and the junk yards charge a fortune to pull parts for you. But it seems that it won't be a hazard to get a ZJ skid so that's now on the table. My XJ is almost ready to hit the trails (couple of weeks. Do I hear Rocktoberfest calling my name?).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 16th, 2018, 16:36
Rob Mayercik's Avatar
Rob Mayercik Rob Mayercik is offline
NAXJA Member #920
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ, U.S.A.
Posts: 2,090
Re: Gas Tank Skids

Cool.
__________________
1992 Cherokee Laredo: "A wonderful balance of grace and rust"
1984 Dodge Omni
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XJ gas tank skids Rockon Modified Tech Discussion 8 August 2nd, 2009 23:04
gas tank and tcase oem skids gijosiahh SEC For Sale / Wanted Forum 3 March 31st, 2008 17:38
Looking for Gas Tank and Front skids... spkshasha North Atlantic Chapter 2 June 8th, 2004 12:28


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014