NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 10th, 2018, 15:57
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Steering suggestions for 5.5-6" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I'm at 6" lift and all the angles are perfect w/ no bump steer. Like I said it rides/drives like a Cadillac!
I find it hard to believe you don't have bumpsteer at that lift with the Currie setup. I'm at 5.5 / 6.0 lift with Currie steering and it does bumpsteer. Not anything I can't live with, but it's definitely noticeable vs what it drove like with a 3.5" lift. Having said that, I'm not running the WJ knuckles, etc.
Old August 10th, 2018, 17:05
NAXJA Forum User

I wasn't running the WJ stuff till last year. What I have been running is the RE 1660 trackbar drop bracket.
Old August 13th, 2018, 21:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einulfr View Post
CavFab steering here; it's 1.5" solid bar instead of DOM. I'm somewhere between 6" ~ 6.5" of lift in the front and maybe 15 degrees on the angles.

That set up looks really good. How do you like the heims and did you
relocate your trackbar mount yourself?
Old August 13th, 2018, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamechanic View Post
This set up looks really good. How do you like the heims vs ball joints?

I think for me to run the currie set up or synergy set up "right" I'd need a drop pitman arm and trackbar drop bracket to neutralize the steering angles.

Thinking about running one of the OTK Y link set ups like JCR has, and relocate the axle side TB mount above the axle.
Old August 14th, 2018, 23:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Thanks. I had heims before with the IRO kit and it was fine; the only issue I had with it was that the misalignment washers all cracked at the waist over time. Upgraded to the CavFab kit for the solid bars and so that I could go OTA with the track bar for a flatter angle and not have the wonky crossover with the drag link. Don't really feel any difference between the heims and the traditional TRE setup, or at least if there is any it's not significant. Also running the RE track bar bracket brace (just out of frame at the top) which helps tighten everything up a bit.

Yeah, I had to relocate the mount as the track bar required it. CavFab's bracket wouldn't work without a lot of modification due to the truss, but thankfully Artec makes one that fits right in with everything else. Had to hack out the old stabilizer mount, but that was about it.

Quote:
This set up looks really good. How do you like the heims vs ball joints?

I think for me to run the currie set up or synergy set up "right" I'd need a drop pitman arm and trackbar drop bracket to neutralize the steering angles.

Thinking about running one of the OTK Y link set ups like JCR has, and relocate the axle side TB mount above the axle.
Honestly, they feel about the same. There might be slightly more play with the heims, but so long as everything is cranked down tight there's not a huge difference. Or it could be my factory steering box starting to poop out...

Deciding on a setup can be tough but on the bright side, it's nice to have so many aftermarket options for steering solutions on a vehicle that's been out of production for 17 years.
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:45
NAXJA Forum User

I have WJ knuckles with 1.5 .250 wall dom with chevy tie-rod ends. Steeringd up high and you get way better brakes. Would post a pick but photobucket broke the net.