• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10/11 MSV/Coney run - CANCELLED

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Posted by DutchVDub in the original thread:

"Hey guys, I was just up there today. You better have atleast 1 rig with a winch and nobody with less than 33's should be going. When I hit that big water crossing there was a solid sheet of ice on the entire thing a good 1.5 - 3" thick. It took a lot of work for my Jeep to break through all of that. On MSV about 1/3 of the way to Coney is a huge mud hole that I'd never seen before. There was a Wrangler nose down in it with his 33's buried. Going around him sucked because it was really soft and muddy. My jeep instantly buried itself up to the rockers in mud. I had to winch myself through the mud, turn around, and winch the other 2 Jeeps with me through. The rest of the trail was fairly doable, just really slick.

Oh, word of advice. After romping through lots of mud and water in 30* weather, dont trun your Jeep off for an hour while you wait for the quads to go back to the trucks and get you a new Tie Rod assy. All 3 of our Jeepslost their alternators. We got one of them charging again with liberal amounts of brake clean to the alternator to clean it out. Me and my other buddy probably need new alternators. Driving down that pass at 7pm with no lights and running on battery only sucks. We did all make it home safely, and it was a really fun day. It was also very long and a weebit stressful."

Sounds like NO fun to me. I just sold Dutch my last '97+ alternator too so forget it! I ain't playin' in the mud.

Sux.

Like I said, it was a blast but stressful. I should have my jeep back up tomorrow. I might have to remount a rear tire again because I think the bead is still leaking air. I had an entire handful of mud wedged inside the bead. One of our quads lost a tire up there too yesteday

If anybody decides to go up tomorrow anyways and runs into trouble give me a call at 303-249-9028. It only takes me about 45min to get up there and I'll come with tools and whatnot to help you out.

I ran the T33 trail yesterday...seems like the way we went had enough rocks to warrant higher than a four...anyway, the stock Rubicon JK I was with got hung up 2/3 in due to ice on the rocks...spent an hour and a half trying to get him through, then backing both rigs up 500ft to turn around. The Front Range guys came down right behind us, so it was a good thing we turned when we did otherwise we would have had fun trying to get around each other.

Good lesson in playing in the snow with out body damage :dunce:

Last edited:
Agreed!
Great trail.
good weather(did get breezy toward the end)
and superb conditions. You guys missed out

I wanted to but that's quite a drive from Littleton........ and I've been there 2x this year already...... I'm glad your group had a good run though! :thumbup:

hmmm, interesting. Some of us were thinking about hitting up MSV this weekend, sounds like it might not be a good idea. BRD actually said they might be closing it this Friday anyway...

Back